scottjaco

Van Halen 2007 live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPugcCS0JpU

This YouTube vid tells it all. Despite the crappy quality, it is clear that they are using backing tracks to fill in the chorus of the songs. I can't believe Wolfie could sound exactly like Michael Anthony did 30 years ago.

I can't believe nobody else has noticed this. Look at all the other vids, and it's the same thing. Lip-syncing the chorus of all their songs, and Eddie's playing is sloppier than ever.

How embarrassing!

what r u babbling about?

Well, anyone who is a Van Halen fan knows that their bassist Michael Anthony wasn't invited on to the Van Halen re-union tour. This sparked controversy because M.A. had a unique vocal style that became synonymous with the Van Halen sound.

This pissed a lot of fans off along with the fact that Eddie seemed to be trying to re-write history by deleting photos of M.A. from their old album covers.

Eddie is a class act all the way. (sarcasm)

Why invite M.A. to tour when all you need to do is sample his vocals during the concerts.

Really lame.

what r u babbling about?

Well, anyone who is a Van Halen fan knows that their bassist Michael Anthony wasn't invited on to the Van Halen re-union tour. This sparked controversy because M.A. had a unique vocal style that became synonymous with the Van Halen sound.

This pissed a lot of fans off along with the fact that Eddie seemed to be trying to re-write history by deleting photos of M.A. from their old album covers.

Yes, I heard about that.

Eddie is a class act all the way. (sarcasm)

Why invite M.A. to tour when all you need to do is sample his vocals during the concerts.

Really lame.

You honestly think that was sampled? I'll go listen again but it sounded live to me.
My photos

My Videos

They look completely pathetic. Dave's voice is horrible. I saw Van Halen live back in the late 80's and they had so much energy. Eddie was obviously shitfaced but still amazing. Now they look like the tired old burnouts they are.
WRT background tracks, lots of bands use them, even bands like U2. No surprise. Even MA might not be able to hit a lot of those notes every night on tour at this point in his career. It is really lame for Eddie to take his kid on tour instead though. Half of the show was MA's crazy energy. Wolfe is about as shitty a performer as they come.

It's a real testament to how bad modern music and bands are that when all of these former super rockers have to come back and try to find the glory days and people pay 10 times face value for a ticket to see them embarrass themselves. If there is a band you love today, go see them live now. Cause when they are 60 years old and no longer relevant, you'll wish you had.

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

from where i sat (at the molson center in montreal last saturday), they put on a hell of a show. of course, i was looking to enjoy myself, not pick it apart. wolfgang may not have the experience mike anthony had, but he kept up. eddie and dave had an amazing amount of energy throughout the show, and that's not taking into account that eddie is 52 and dlr is 53. the kicks weren't as high as they were back in the day, but they were there. the vocals didn't sound like a studio album, but who does when it's live? the guitar solos were still amazing, particularly 'cathedral'.

these observations are subjective, but at least based on personal observation, not a you-tube video. :S

your mileage may vary.

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I've actually found other VH message boards that talk about the sampling. VH supposedly admitted this. I mixed live sound for years and I can tell when something sounds a little too perfect to be live.

Watch some of the other videos on youtube. The videos are easier to pick apart because it is very hard to tell in a loud over ambient arena what is really happening. You can trick the crowd, but play the shit back at a lower volume with less noise and you can hear what is really happening.

It’s not that big of a deal and I realize a lot of bands do this, but it hit a nerve since they refused to invite the guy who was willing to sing it live.

I like what another poster said about re-union bands needing to put out new material before making a come-back. I agree, this is true if you want to be a relevant musical act. Smashing Pumpkins did a really good job with their re-union by putting out a really cool album to compliment their tour. Although the lineup is different, they put on an amazing show this year in San Diego State’s Open Air Amphitheater. Great show!