Para_Frog

Shoulder Arthroscopy

Having a torn labrum and biceps tendon repaired next week.

Anyone had this done? Recovery time? Nagging pain duration?

I got the standard Dr. answer. Looking for practical examples. Those yucks are never right.

Sucks getting old.

thanks, cheers, fo shizzle, out.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

Arthroscopy isn't nearly as bad as open, but shoulder surgery still sucks. My arthroscopic procedure was for a torn labrum, and it hurt quite a bit for a few days, but then started lightening up fairly quickly. Some friends and I moved all my belongings from one apartment to another the following weekend, and with some commitment on my part in therapy, I had doctor's approval to jump again a couple days shy of two months later.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

i had arthroscopic bankart repair of the shoulder done... is that the same as your operation? pm me if you want more info. for me that arm was pretty immobile and in the giant black brace for a month, 3-4 months (with solid PT) before it felt close to normal. there wasn't alot of nagging pain except in that first month. my ortho didn't even show me the brace before i did it, i was pissed afterward, it was gigantic.

i'm so glad i did it...
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

i had arthroscopic bankart repair of the shoulder done... is that the same as your operation?

Yep, bankart repair is for a torn labrum. I've had a couple of them, and arthroscopic is MUCH better than open, especially if the open includes harvesting bone from your pelvis and bolting it into your shoulder to beef up the labrum (like putting a brick wall behind a curtain). B|

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I had a similar experience when I had my torn labrum repaired (SLAP lesion) - except I had almost no pain at all.

I was warned there'd be all kinds of pain. When I left the surgery center, I was still numbed up with a nerve blocker, so I was feeling no pain. By the time I went to sleep that night, I figured the nerve blocker would wear off during the night so I took a couple of percocet as a preventative measure.

Woke up feeling fine. Never did have to take another percocet - what little pain I did have I was able to manage just fine with naproxen.

Within a few days, I was getting myself in trouble by forgetting that I was supposed to be careful ... I'd find myself lifting up grocery bags then saying "oh, shit, I'm not supposed to really use this arm" but because I had no pain ... I would forget.

It was about as easy as I could have hoped for - six or eight weeks of PT and no pain or discomfort since.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks gents (and lady). Turns out I have both. Got the MRI today.

MRI Findings:

The biceps is clearly abnormal and torn.

Findings compatible with labral tear including a superior labrum anterior to posterior (SLAP) tear in combination with an anterior labral tear.

The anterior labral tear probably does extend down the anteroinferior quadrant, raising suspicion for a Bankhart lesion.

Cartilage loss along the anterior Glenoid, with small loose cartilaginous bodies in the subscapular recess of the joint.

Mild strain of the teres minor muscle.

Peritendinitis.

Whatever. Fucking thing hurts. And I won't tell you how long I've been running around like this for fear of being called a dumbass caveman. (hint - about 75 skydives and 80 BASE jumps)

So with all those repairs, I'm thinking the recovery might be slow-ish based on your experiences.

C'est la vie. I'll keep you posted.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

So with all those repairs, I'm thinking the recovery might be slow-ish based on your experiences.

My second surgery (the biggest one) included 6 months of no jumping and 6 additional months of hop & pops with my left arm held tight to my torso until after I had a good canopy. My third surgery (removing bolts from second surgery and repairing internal rotators) was about 4 months of recovery. The three added up to a few years of uncomfortable, a bit of lost range of motion, and a bit of permanent, albeit intermittent pain. Still, the thing works again, so they were worth it.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

hey frog---have the surgery yet? Dont assume the PT will be THAT much trouble, you never know! I myself (total newbie) had planned to start A licensing this summer until i re-injured an old injury after 15 min of tunnel time. My shoulder had been so tired it just ripped out. Anyway, grounded this summer and had surgery 7 weeks ago. So far rehabbing it has pretty good, been going for 2 weeks and have ALOT of motion back. But still have some issues with external rotation--ie, there is no way in hell i can get into box position, YET (i will make it!). Anyway at my PT there is a girl who had the same surgery, same day. and she is really struggling. Point is--you never know how PT is gonna go. But having it done was a much better option than being at 10k feet and have an arm behind me out of the socket!

I had been really nervous about not being able to get into the sky after this, and felt it may result in being permanently grounded. The posts throughout the forums have really shed a positive light on recovery, so i hope ill be able to get things going again. Just gonna be a process thats for sure. Best of luck if you go under the knife--keep us posted!

I had arthoscopic surgery to repair a slap lesion in my right shoulder on ther 23 of October. I was told sling for 6 weeks. Still have 2 weeks til im out of the sling. no external rotation til after that and a 6 month period til im 100%. Apparently I had one of the worse torn labrums the Doctor has ever seen. It was shredded.

total cost so far $30,960.43
-Fish

Blue skies, Soft landings

yeah---similar problem here. both my docs and my PT said i was really lucky that ALL i screwed up was the labrum---probably about 15-20 dislocations over a few years, and 3 of them in the span of 10 minutes in the tunnel (lesson learned...)---they were surprised my rotator was not torn as well, as nothing was left attached of the anterior.

Hope insurance is covering that???

with insurance adjustments mine has been about 10k, but with a 2k deductible. ouch :-/ but if i can try again next summer, then i'll be happy!

def stay in the sling---its a PAIN IN THE BUTT but def need it. im a month (and a day) ahead of you, so i know what you have coming. just make sure to do every exercise they say to do and it will be fine!