Zing

First Snohomish Caravan lawsuit filed

Looks like some lawfirm has found employment. Here's the first news I've seen about lawsuits over the Caravan crash.

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/global/story.asp?s=7436508

Parents of skydiver killed in plane crash file suit
Associated Press - December 1, 2007 1:45 PM ET

SEATTLE (AP) - The parents of a skydiver killed in a plane crash in October have filed a lawsuit saying the plane was defective and shouldn't have been flying in icy weather.

The 34-year-old Microsoft engineer, Bryan Jones, was 1 of 9 skydivers from a Snohomish County jump club who were aboard the Cessna Caravan when it plunged into a mountainside above White Pass, killing all 10 aboard on Oct. 7. Also killed was the plane's pilot.

The plane had been flying from Star, Idaho, to Shelton, Mason County.

The lawsuit was filed Friday by Jones' parents, Daniel and Terrie Jones, and seeks damages for the pain and suffering their son experienced and their loss of companionship.

Attempts to reach Cessna for comment were unsuccessful.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.

And this one.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/11996826.html

By KOMO TV Staff & News Services
SEATTLE (AP) - The parents of a skydiver killed in a plane crash in October have filed a lawsuit saying the plane was defective and shouldn't have been flying in icy weather.

The 34-year-old Microsoft engineer, Bryan Jones, was one of nine skydivers from a Snohomish County jump club who were aboard the Cessna Caravan when it plunged into a mountainside above White Pass, killing all 10 aboard on Oct. 7. Also killed was the plane's pilot.

The plane crashed into thick timber at 4,300 feet, about 45 miles west of Yakima near the Goat Rocks Wilderness Area during a flight from Star, Idaho, near Boise, to Shelton, Wash.

The lawsuit was filed Friday by Jones' parents, Daniel and Terrie Jones, and seeks damages for the pain and suffering their son experienced and their loss of companionship.

At a memorial for the ten victims, friends and family members remembered Jones as a quiet and shy guy on the job, but known to hop on his motorcycle after work to head to Harvey Field to skydive.

"He was pretty dedicated," said Shawn Starr, a Skydive Snohomish instructor. "He would sit in traffic for hours just to make one jump at sunset."

Jones had made more than 1,000 jumps and helped lead the Seattle Skydivers club. He recently began "canopy piloting," a more specialized skydiving sport, said skydiver Dave Correia.

"He knew what he was doing and he did it well," said Ryan Shipley, another skydiver and friend.

Attempts to reach Cessna for comment were unsuccessful.
Zing Lurks

I'm not at all surprised.

If this crash was found to be due to something that Cessna could have fixed or addressed in years prior, then I feel that they should be held (at least) somewhat accountable.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I'm not at all surprised.

If this crash was found to be due to something that Cessna could have fixed or addressed in years prior, then I feel that they should be held (at least) somewhat accountable.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

Here's a link to caravan AD's...When problems arise they are addressed.

This was in all likelihood an icing condition, there is an AD and recommendations on icing scenarios, whether they were adhered to is the question.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Neither news story gives that information. Obviously, Cessna is the deep pocket, but no doubt, others will be named by the plaintiffs' attorneys, depending on the lawyers' opinion of their ability to recover monies.
Zing Lurks

Not a joke at all.

I was good friends with the pilot of the plane, but I fully realize that in all likelihood it was most likely his fault and he is probably the only one to blame. People aren't perfect, I know that and accept that.

However, as some news reports suggest, if there was a problem with the plane icing in conditions where flying was technically ok, then that it is a problem that should be addressed. I'm not saying I think Cessna should be bankrupt or anything like that. What I think is that if there is a problem with Caravans or they shouldn't fly in certain conditions (which may currently be technically allowable conditions) then the company should fix that.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

No one has seen the pleading(s), so all these snap judgments about a tort system most here know nothing about are premature.

After more than 3 decades in the sport, I've watched with interest, more than a few suits of this very type..you're right no one has seen the 'pleadings'...I'll give you odds as to what, who and why.

No one has seen the pleading(s), so all these snap judgments about a tort system most here know nothing about are premature.

Which is why I was asking the question I did.

BUT you have to admit that the response from 'Twardo is what we as the public are shown to be the norm.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Not a joke at all.

I was good friends with the pilot of the plane, but I fully realize that in all likelihood it was most likely his fault and he is probably the only one to blame. People aren't perfect, I know that and accept that.

However, as some news reports suggest, if there was a problem with the plane icing in conditions where flying was technically ok, then that it is a problem that should be addressed. I'm not saying I think Cessna should be bankrupt or anything like that. What I think is that if there is a problem with Caravans or they shouldn't fly in certain conditions (which may currently be technically allowable conditions) then the company should fix that.

Check the icing AD's...it's been addressed at length.

You don't get icing in "conditions where flying was technically ok,"

If you fly INTO icing conditions, you change the conditions...

The NTSB basicly looks at three things, airframe, powerplant and pilot.

It didn't break up in flight, & the engine was running...

If you read the AD's you will see that it does not take much icing at all to greatly reduce the lift, if the AC was at or near gross, the problem is exasperated.

After more than 3 decades in the sport, I've watched with interest, more than a few suits of this very type..you're right no one has seen the 'pleadings'...I'll give you odds as to what, who and why.

Care to elaborate?
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

My GF has a will that states " if anyone attempts to sue the DZ in case of her death, all the funds in her estate will be used in the DZs defense".

Unless this was a negligent act that we have yet to understand. I would ask these people, who have suffered a terrible loss. Please stop the pain and stress you are causing others. Thats not what your son would have wanted.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

I looked through those, here is a question: Can caravans fly in light icing according the the AD's? Is that correct?

I don't have that much knowledge of all of that stuff except from my conversations with pilots (including jump pilots with caravan experience) about this particular incident. I fully realize that I'm like the whuffo reporter butchering skydiving incidents. My only point was, if Cessna was negligent or somewhat responsible then they should be forced to fix things so that future incidents do not occur.

Care to elaborate?

Being involved in the air show industry as well as skydiving I have watched probably in excess of 40 lawsuits involving aircraft and fatalities.

In the outset everyone that has anything at all to do with the aircraft is sued..down to the manufacturer of the aftermarket seat-belts and helmet a pilot is wearing...many if not most settle out of court, or rather their insurance companies do because it cost more to fight than it's worth, and WITH our tort system...a jury can award damages for something that has NO BEARING on the accident / incident.

From the AD:

Continued flight after encountering moderate or greater icing conditions is prohibited. One or
more of the following defines moderate icing conditions for this airplane:
Airspeed in level flight at constant power decreases by 20 KIAS.
Engine torque required to maintain airspeed increases by 400 ft. lbs.
120 KIAS cannot be maintained in level flight.
Ice accretion of 1/4 inch observed on the wing strut.”

So from this, if the pilot was flying in less than moderate icing conditions- would that have been allowed?

My only point was, if Cessna was negligent or somewhat responsible then they should be forced to fix things so that future incidents do not occur.

I understand what you're saying Karen and please don't think I'm patronizing you in any way...

Any aircraft 'can' get icing, it's dealt with by heaters and or inflatable boots...was this AC so configured, I don't know.

The 'problem' with the Caravan is that it...because of the job that it does...is often flown in icing conditions.

These things are a work horse in Alaska but up there the pilots are quite familiar with flying in conditions that could cause icing and try to stay away from them.

It's critical that the pilot be familiar with the onset of even a light frost on the leading edge, it's not like the movies where big chunks blow off the wing and they keep flying, the wing loses it 'shape' and it's lift REAL FAST...especially it seems on caravans.

Is it a problem with 'that' aircraft that makes it more unsafe than any other aircraft?
I don't believe so, it's a characteristic if the airplane...and also of many others.