WatchYourStep

Making the conversion from PC to MAC!!!

Well it's happening!

As some who read prior my PC crapped out about a month ago. I hadn't backed up anything in a long time so I've lost a lot, I won't make that same mistake again.

Here are a few of my questions.

The pictures I still have backed up can I just dump those right onto my Mac?

Also I lost all my music from the computer I never backed it up. The good news is I still have my iPod and it has all my songs. Can I dump songs from my iPod which is set-up for a Mac, then reformat the iPod then put the songs back on the iPod?

Thanks for any help.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

I can't help you with the iPod question....if Senuti doesn't work maybe get a friend to use a Windows/iPod tool to get the music off of it and then burn a data disc or two. If your music winds up on a data disc, just drag the files into iTunes on your Mac.

After that is done you can reformat the iPod for a Mac and hook up to iTunes in the usual fashion. Don't reformat that iPod until you have your music safely off of it.

Same thing with the photos...just drag them into the iPhoto window.

Pick up an external drive to use as your Time machine backup drive!!

Let us know how it goes!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Hey, J-Man!

My wife (the other Jen) and I made the switch a couple of years ago, and I've been very happy with the Mac experience.

You're gonna love it!

When we made the switch, we didn't have any problems with compatibility, just click and drag whatever files you want to move. We also got Microsoft Office for Mac, for all the Word, Power Point, and Excel stuff we had done on the PC. You can run into problems if you take a document made on a Mac and try to work with it on a PC, but you probably knew that.

I'm pretty sure you can move whatever is on your iPod directly into iTunes on the new machine. From what I've understood, the only issue would be what you may put on the iPod, not what you take off of it.

Congrats!

C.
T.I.N.S.

Your mac will read it even if its formatted for windows as it is a FAT32 file. I know this cause I did the same thing when I switched over. used the iPod to carry over all my files using senuti then reformated it to mac aftewards.

also just drag your pics into iPhoto and your good to go.:)
welcome to this side...and the kool ade is YUMMY!!!

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

If you backed the files up to media such as a CD then yes you can see those files from your Mac and transfer them.

I can't think of a scenario where you wouldn't be able to. There are limitations as to what file systems certain operating systems are able to read, but in most cases, such as on a CD the file system is universal and any operating system can see those files to transfer them.

Windows uses file systems such as FAT (rarely used anymore), FAT32 and NTFS (the newest file system). If you were to install older versions of Linux onto a computer with NTFS partitions or another drive setup with a NTFS file system, Linux might not be able to see it. Though in some newer versions there is automatic included support for NTFS. In older versions you were able to add support for NTFS.

You're most likely not trying to access those files in any way that they would not be available to a Mac though. In any case an easy way to get access to files stored on a PC would be to just back them up to a CD or DVD and access the files by inserting the disc into your Mac.

I'm not a Mac user and don't know the exact specifics, but image and video file formats are pretty much supported across the board by all operating systems these days and so is backup media if you have the peripherals to use the media.

I'm not really sure how a floppy disk would work with a Mac. If it was formatted for a PC it might not be readable in Mac, but I'm not sure. Just use a CD instead.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

senuti is a delicious program. Comes in reeeal handy on a college campus where they are cracking down on downloading music. Just grab somebody's ipod, plug it in, and it will copy every song you don't already have to your computer. Or just the ones you want.... i love it either way.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

I'm not really sure how a floppy disk would work with a Mac. If it was formatted for a PC it might not be readable in Mac, but I'm not sure.

PC formatted floppies worked fine, back when Macs had floppy drives. I believe the last Mac I had that came with a floppy drive was sometime in the mid 90s, though.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

It's just a computer. It will crash and annoy you, but if you keep a complete backup, you'll be fine.

;)

There are standard formats, designed so that you can use the same files on different computers. Some are open standards where all specifications are known, some are proprietary, where the company that made the standard has patented the specifications, but licence them out so that other companies can make programs that open or create the file format.

And then there are some companies that are so big that they don't bother about standards. They can make a new XML file format that have top secret specifications so that you can only open it if you have their overpriced text editor and spreadsheet software.

And some people write software that opens and creates files in a proprietary format that they haven't bought a licence for.

most picture formats open on any computer, PDF open on any computer, most audio formats too, except some DRM-ed files can cause problems.

You could just transfer your files and see what opens. As an extra bonus, viruses and other malware for your PC won't be compatible with your mac.

It really, really annoys me when someone uses a proprietary file format that requires expensive software to share something as simple as a text document or a photographic image. Yuck!

>:(

Have fun with your new computer. I've had my current macs for more than 5 years, and they still work great. Only a couple of hard disk crashes, but that is only to be expected. They were expensive when I got them, but they've lasted, so they turned out to be good value.

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I'm not really sure how a floppy disk would work with a Mac. If it was formatted for a PC it might not be readable in Mac, but I'm not sure.

PC formatted floppies worked fine, back when Macs had floppy drives. I believe the last Mac I had that came with a floppy drive was sometime in the mid 90s, though.

You'll need an external floppy disk station. Floppies for PC are FAT32 formatted, and macs, even the old version mac OS, such as OS9, read FAT32. MACOSX both reads and writes FAT32.

:)
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I stand by what i said before. I don't understand how you can offer advice to someone when you have no idea how a mac works or doesn't work. bizarre.

That is like saying that it wouldn't make sense for Russian scientists to work on an American space station...

And the answer is because I'm an expert, but I use a PC. I have vast experience in pretty much every operating system available in the last 18 or so years. Except Mac. I have used Macs before, but that was in art school, seven years ago. I don't use Macs so there are some specific details I can't be 100% sure of.

the old version mac OS, such as OS9, read FAT32. MACOSX both reads and writes FAT32.

:)

That's the kind of information I wouldn't be sure of since I don't use Macs. It's operating system specific "will and wont's".

Good info. Thanks.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan