fpritchett64

Any opinions on my first rig

Hi, I'm fairly new to jumping, I've been around skydiving since I was about 13, a great friend (Rick Payne) from Emerald Coast got me interested in it. Currently I have 10 jumps...4 tandems and I'm on AFP level 6 now. I'm going to be getting my own gear soon and would like some advice as to what my first canopy should be. I'm 5'6 and about 175 lbs. The canopy I've been jumping on student status is a PD 260 F111 and I handle it really well. My last jump was on a 288 b/c I was waiting for the 260 rig to get put back together from my previous jump (spinning line twist cutaway) -brake line came unstowed. Anyway, that was by far the most boring canopy ride I have ever experienced, I even had to choke up on the steering lines to get any control out of a flare or turn. I have been considering a PD 190 or Sabre or Sabre 2 190, would this be a good idea or should I go a little larger? And do you have any other good suggestions for a good first canopy/rig as I am on a limited budget and need something safe and reliable yet cheap.

Anyway, that was by far the most boring canopy ride I have ever experienced . . .

Nobody ever died of boredom while skydiving. ;)

You're going to get a lot of opinions here, but probably the only ones that matter are going to be from the experienced people at your own drop zone (instructors, DZO, S&TA) that have actually seen you skydive and do not have a vested interest in selling you a rig or stroking your ego.

That said, consider buying some used gear for the first year or two of use. Hell, depending on what gear you really want to buy new, it might take that long for delivery anyway!

Again, nobody ever died of boredom while skydiving.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I definately understand nobody ever died of boredom, I hope you understand what I meant by a boring canopy ride...I had been jumping the 260, then had to jump the 288 on my last jump, it felt as though it wasn't responsive at all. The reserve ride wasn't boring that was actually very exciting and helped me lose a lot of nervousness if thats what you thought I was implying to. Thanks for the input though. I'm definately getting used gear to start with. Just curious if a 1.0:1 wing loading would be something good to begin with.

Just curious if a 1.0:1 wing loading would be something good to begin with.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on a lot of factors. In VERY general terms I'd say it's not far off the mark, but remember the experienced people I wrote about in my first responce to you? Those are the people that can tell you if it's appropriate or not.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So far they have been saying somewhere between a 190 and a 210 but I was just wanting to see what some other experienced jumpers had to say. So far, I have made 4 jumps on the 260, 1 of which was a stand-up landing, the other 3 were very soft just couldn't get my foot placement correct. The reserve I'm unsure of the size, but considering it was a 7 cell it was quite a bit faster and it was an off field landing so I just did a PLF to be safe.

You know, being new to the sport myself, I know your position. I'd really not worry about getting gear right now, other than helmet/goggles/jumpsuit/altimeter. Those things you can get now and pretty much use for quite a while.

Especially with only 10 jumps, I think it's best to use the student gear until you're completely comfortable with everything and you get your A. My instructors told me the best thing to do is to jump rentals to try out various canopies, start big, then work your way down to a size suitable for a first canopy, which I'd ask your instructor about. This way, you can find a canopy you really like to jump, but will still have the opportunity to have fun with.

I can say this was good advice.

You know, being new to the sport myself, I know your position. I'd really not worry about getting gear right now, other than helmet/goggles/jumpsuit/altimeter. Those things you can get now and pretty much use for quite a while.

Especially with only 10 jumps, I think it's best to use the student gear until you're completely comfortable with everything and you get your A. My instructors told me the best thing to do is to jump rentals to try out various canopies, start big, then work your way down to a size suitable for a first canopy, which I'd ask your instructor about. This way, you can find a canopy you really like to jump, but will still have the opportunity to have fun with.

I can say this was good advice.

It also does not hurt to start looking when you have 10 jumps and are willing to learn a lot... Asking a lot of questions... Etc... You will learn what you put into it, and at 10 jumps you should be learning a lot about rigs...

That way you will know where your canopy goals should be when you have 30 jumps and it is time to stop renting and own... It does not hurt to buy now, something your instructors and mentors advise you is a good canopy/container for your first rig - because once you have 30 jumps and decide it is time - you might wait weeks or months for equipment, thus making skydiving a pain in the butt...

So, what I am saying is - if you have the energy to study up and learn, once you have 10 jumps, you can start shopping even if you know what you are potentially buying is something you need a few more rental rig downsizes to be ready to jump... But, your mentors and instructors are going to be invaluable to steer you the right direction...

I just find people are happier when they have a rig on their living room floor they can say, "once I have 10 more jumps I will be ready to jump" than "I wish I had a rig, I can't skydive today because the rental rigs are sold out or I can't pay the rental fees because I dropped all my money on the rig that is not here yet."

My experience might help you. I bought my own gear straight off of AFF it was a pilot 188, gorgeous canopy with 200 jumps on it in a crappy old talon container cypres with 2 years left on it. I paid £700 thats about $1200. I put 50 jumps on it and sold it on for £800. All the time that i had it my friends where paying £10 a jump for rentals making that £500 of dead money for my friends. I then used the £800 towards a new wings/ spectre 170 rig. This work really well for me and i didnt plough loads of money into rentels. The rig i had first is probably still doing the rounds of new jumpers and they are very easy to sell on. Also it feels great having your own gear and you can learn to pack quicker which saves you more money. All this saving gives you more jump money and thats what its all about!