ACMESkydiver

January 4th - January 10th Fitness Freaks REPORT!

Heid-hi, everybody! How are we doing? :)
I took off the annoying few pounds I gained by eating too much salty/fattening foods (I am a sucker for a New York style pizza made by a true Italian [:/]).

Anyhoo, I admit to still being up about 4 pounds from my low point a few weeks back, but I'm doing much better now! I'm trying to make sure I end up with a calorie deficit of about 900 per day. -Don't anyone worry, I'm not starving or anything...I cut out about 500 calories from my needed total (and I weigh a bunch, so it takes a lot of calories to keep this body going so again, no worries) and then I make sure I exercise at least 400 calories worth as well.

I'm keeping my carb count low because that is what works for me. Added benefit: I got no sleep night before last, and didn't have a cup of coffee until 2:45pm, and I DIDN'T GET A MIGRAINE!! I'm convinced that sugar is part of my migraine trigger.

I have set a new goal! 30 more pounds by June. 5 pounds per month, that isn't crazy, and it allows for the ebb & flow of small inconsistencies that I will not allow to take me down or kill my motivation. B|

-Truth is, I hope to blow those numbers away, but I will not beat myself up if I don't make it. That's what has just killed me in the past, but I laid that thinking to rest a long time ago! ;) I'm still down 25 pounds, and even with my slip-ups being down 25 pounds is good.

-How are we doing, gang? Rescue diver? Hiker? College boys & girls? Newbies? Sound off like ya got a pair! B|:ph34r:
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I'm going to try and stay off the scale until next week and just focus on the workouts and paying more attention to what and how I am eating. I do want to lose about 20 more pounds, but more important- I want to lose my belly and tone up/ strengthen all my muscles.

At least I seem to be back on track with the workouts - I took a Zumba class last night. Seems kind of fun, but its not something that is offered regularly at my gym.

Sorry about not defining Zumba! :P I'd heard about it and its something I've been wanting to try for a while. I like to mix in the dance oriented group classes with the strength training and cardio. Keeps things more fun and interesting, plus if I know I have a class, its harder to talk myself out of a trip to the gym.

I'm fucking sick. Again.

Going to the doc this afternoon because this one feels like it's for reals. Like strep throat-ish.

Grrr. Not happy. Might try to get out for a walk this weekend anyway, and I did still go to the gym yesterday morning despite waking up sick again.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

No updates, other than I'm just about finished all the car work I planned on, so I should be working out again starting on Monday. Still been eating smartly, so I should still be good to go. 2 weeks off is bad though, not what I should have done with a ship date of February 12th. But I guess I can make up for it.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

I was down 25 total by the time the holidays rolled around. Then all that time and all that food... So, it's time to watch what I eat again and maybe, just maybe, start exercising. Time to spend some more time on the (South) beach. My goal this year is to get to 170 and stay there - that's 17 from where I am now and only 6 from where I ended up in Oct., so I know it's an attainable goal.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

Might try to get out for a walk this weekend anyway, and I did still go to the gym yesterday morning despite waking up sick again.

WARNING! WARNING! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! You can REALLY, seriously, mess yourself up if you work out with 'strep throat-ish'. B|

Think bronchitis...pneumonia...yeah. Not good. Take it easy if you're sick! heard about somebody that was trying to work out whilest ill and gave herself bronchitis...what a silly girl! :o:ph34r:

Feel better soon. If your gym has a sauna, maybe you can hang out in there and stretch. It feels good, you're still being 'physical', and you're not going to make yourself horribly worse.
~Jaye

2 weeks off is bad though, not what I should have done with a ship date of February 12th. But I guess I can make up for it.

Well enjoy it...because you're not going to get ANY days off once you start! :P
~Jaye

17 pounds is a very reasonable goal. Good luck to you -keep us updated!

That's such a small amount to need to lose that I'm betting you will need to start incorporating some exercise to either get there or maintain it. You'll be glad you did, though! :)

~Jaye

So the doc I saw today (not my regular doc, I just took whoever had an available appointment so I could get seen) was this tiny little Asian woman. So short that when I hopped up on the exam table and sat up, she had trouble seeing all the way to the back of my throat. She peeked in said "uh, oh, yeah, I see stuff" then went back, put gloves on and asked me to scrunch down closer to her height so she could really poke around in there.

She said "most people with a sore throat don't really have anything going on in there, but I'm going to go ahead and treat you even before we get the throat culture results back. You've definitely got something going on - your tonsils are inflamed and there's all kinds of stuff back there. Good thing you came in."

So... just rest and antibiotics for me this weekend, I promise.:)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

So... just rest and antibiotics for me this weekend, I promise.:)

Uh-huh...I'll believe THAT when I see it! >:(:ph34r:

I SWEAR!!! I have not set foot in the gym since Thursday morning. Yesterday I walked all of six blocks down to Market Street to run a few errands and get some pho for lunch (healthy northwest comfort food, though I ate about 1/3 of the bowl before my appetite went away, so I brought the rest home with me). I walked very slowly, I promise, and I was exhausted when I got back, so I took a nap. I went to Costco and Petco, then spent the rest of the night on the couch, slept 10 hours, and have done nothing of consequence today.

Believe me, I'm listening to my body, and it's telling me "you're really sick, my dear."[:/]

Well, no update really - I'm just staying consistent with going to the gym everyday and AM seeing a lot of continued progress. B|

I work out my mid section, with some leg strengthening 1 day, and the next I work my upper body & arms/shoulders with some more [focused] leg strengthening -this takes anywhere from 1 1/2-to 3 hours, depending on the day. I come home beat as a dog every night, but really get a sense of satisfaction knowing I'm doing something good for my body.

As I said before, the benefits of going to the gym are going to go much farther than just being able to jump. ;)

My mom's even thrilled that i got into skydiving (if you could believe that) because I found something that requires an amount of dedication & motivation that cures my laziness.

The only thing I need to get in the habit of is going early (like now for example :)) I'm spoiled - go to a 24 hour, 365 day/a year gym, and as a result I'll go between 10:00 pm-12:00 midnight.

Oh yes, and gaining some weight would be good too; I'm 5'6-5'7-ish and weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 112-117 :| (hard to get an accurate reading on the scale when you have to [minimally] hold onto something in order to stand.) Note: I eat anything and everything in sight, but I just can't gain weight if my life depended on it. [:/]

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Lots of high quality protein, Ralf! :)

I have to go jump on the treadmill NOW so I'll have time to go through the 2 hours it takes to make my hair curl the right direction for our fancy-pants dinner tonight. B|

~Jaye

I have a [Whey] protein shake every day after I'm done working out, and I throw all kinds of stuff in there -not just the prouder & milk but bananas, raspberries, and peanut butter, etc, etc... Maybe I should step it to 2 per day?? :S

I have to go jump on the treadmill NOW so I'll have time to go through the 2 hours it takes to make my hair curl the right direction for our fancy-pants dinner tonight. B|

OH YEAHHHHHHHHHH,I forgot about that! Have fun tonight! :)

I have a [Whey] protein shake every day after I'm done working out, and I throw all kinds of stuff in there -not just the prouder & milk but bananas, raspberries, and peanut butter, etc, etc... Maybe I should step it to 2 per day?? :S

OH YEAHHHHHHHHHH,I forgot about that! Have fun tonight! :)

Thanky we will!

-Oh, and add more peanut butter if you're looking to gain...peanut butter has LOTS of fat and protein. Sounds like the sugar isn't a problem for you, but if you want to add peanut butter a little bit more healthfully (is that a word?! :D) try the all-natural stuff you can grind yourself in most health/organic sections of the grocery store. No preservatives, no salt or sugar (I get the ground stuff then add a small amount of salt and Splenda to taste myself).

I am an expert at gaining weight. B|:(
~Jaye

Oh gyad...over did it some how working out just now. :S Don't know why, it wasn't anything extremely different than I've done before.

I did 10 minutes fast walking on the treadmill...then did about 15 minutes of lower body stuff (squats, lunges, standing leg lifts, other stuffs...) then I did a 4% fast climb on the treadmill for another 10 minutes, then did more lower body stuff...

...then I had to lean on the counter in the bathroom because I was about to puke. :S

WTH??? :S:S:S

I had a protein shake about an hour and a half prior to working out...so it wasn't like *right* before. [:/]

That last climb sent my heart rate up over 171 and it started flippin' out a little bit, but not bad. Hmmm...

Anyhow, I didn't puke (hooray!) and I'm settling down now. I need to go get a shower and start getting ready for tonight's festivities.

~Jaye

All of what you just described really has me worried, Jaye... [:/] The heart rate, the urge to puke - I think that although it's nothing you haven't done in the past it depends how consistent you stay consistent (does that make sense? :S)

Please take it easy......There's only 1 Acmeskydiver, and we like having you around damn it! :)

I blame the squats and lunges plus getting your heart rate up that high. I know lunges take a lot out of me, anyway.

That feeling like you're totally spent and gonna puke? That's about where I was when I cut my training session about 10 minutes short the week before last. I pushed too hard trying to work off all the holiday sloth and glutteny AND wasn't feeling 100% when I started. (partly because of all the sloth and glutteny.......:$)

Keep an eye on your heart rate too. 171 seems really high- high enough to send me home from the gym with a migraine, anyway. Could be a good excuse to get that fancy monitor early .... :)

No worries, Ralf! 'If you're not puking, you're not training hard enough'...well at least that's what they told Joe in Ranger training. :D:D:P

My heart beats really fast when I get keyed up anyhoo. I've had it checked and followed and monitored since I was 16 -I've been hooked to a 3-day holter monitor, I've had ECG's/EKG, I've had stress tests on a treadmill, I've had an ultrasound...there is nothing wrong with my heart except that now and then, it likes to dance to its own beat. B| Some of it has to do with my dying thyroid and adrenal glands (very complicated; I'm on a combo of hormones to keep supplementing the failing glands and they do a number on my heart rate). There is no solution to Thyroid disease and adrenal burnout, so I just gotta keep on keepin' on the best I can. ;)

I have a tendency to over-do workouts, too. I've had that problem since I first started exercising at 12. :S

-And tigra...I don't think it's gonna help my case with the heart rate monitor any! :P

~Jaye

OK, I am sure you know this but its really difficult to stick to a workout program that leaves you feeling BAD! You should feel GOOD after a workout, tired but good!

And my Monday progress- I am still trying to stay off the scale for a while, but yesterday I was at Target and picked up a pair of work out pants and a pair of shorts off the clearance rack. Grabbed the mediums without trying them on, thinking smalls would be pushing my luck. I got home and they were too freaking big, not just fitting loose but literally too big! Even with over indulging and not working out as much as I should have been over the past couple of weeks, everything I have been doing is still paying off. :)

Hooray for keeping off the weight! It's such a happy thing when clothes are too big. :ph34r:

I think I just screwed up that one workout...I'll be ok for today on. I'm looking into a Kung Fu studio over a couple of towns over to see about starting some kind of lessons there. I need a goal other than 'to be healthy'. That just doesn't keep me stepping when the couch looks like it would make a lovely nap spot. :)

~Jaye

Kung Fu classes sound fun. I personally have a very hard time working out at home- the couch really is very inviting and I don't have a lot of room which makes the couch look even better. :P I think the main thing that has kept me going to the gym this past year has been my commute. There's a club near my office and stopping there for an hour or so after work is better than sitting in rush hour traffic. That's how it started anyway. Now I enjoy it most of the time plus the training sessions and classes help keep me motivated and on track. Of course, I also don't have little ones at home unless you count the kitties and they don't seem to mind if I'm gone 12 hours a day.