Evelyn

Who owns a Harley?

My husband and I have good friends who have a Harley and are pushing us to get one. He rides it and she rides on the back. I am all for getting Harleys, but I want my own, don't want to ride on the back of my husbands. We are going to take a motorcycle riding class (we've both ridden motorcycles, but not for years), then decide on what we want to get. Any suggestions?

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Fat Boy for him and Sporster for you;)

nuff saidB|

OH GOD NO
I'm baby sitting a sporty for a friend and it is the single most uncomfortable bike i have ever ridden, and i own a 1979 CAFE racer, if you are serious about getting a bike to"RIDE" not a wanky status (lok i can afford a harley) there are many many better built more relieable and more comfortable bikes out there
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I totally understand your thinking, and I agree, except I have to have a Harley in order to ride with our friends. I know I will have to pay for just for the Harley name, but like I said the whole reason for getting a bike is to be able to ride with our friends and their Harley group.

I totally understand your thinking, and I agree, except I have to have a Harley in order to ride with our friends. I know I will have to pay for just for the Harley name, but like I said the whole reason for getting a bike is to be able to ride with our friends and their Harley group.

How on earth do you call people like that firends? They wont ride with you unless you are on a Harley:S:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Down with Harley!!!!>:(

If you really want a Harley, save your self a few bucks and buy a honda cruiser with a few hundred thousand miles on it and poke a bunch of holes in the muffler. You will get hte same quality and sound.

If you want chrome, buy a custom. For the same price as a harley you can get a well built high quality bike. If you are stuck on buying american, look into Polaris Victory.

Slowly back away from the Harley and no one will get hurtB|

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Yeah, seems wierd huh, but yeah, we have to ride a harley to ride with them. Oh, they would still be good friends, and we could ride with them, just not on their harley outings. And they assure us that harley is the best bike around. We haven't yet decided yet so we'll see.

the fuck are YOU smoking?
:S

I think (like Squeak said) the Sporty would be a bad choice...plus your friends would get tired of all the more frequent stops for fuel...the Sporty gas tank is much smaller...get the Dyna Low Rider for yourself...not too heavy, very low seat height and center of gravity.
While you will hear many people tell you to save the money and buy some jap bike ... they do not ride the same in the long run, especially on long rides.
I've been riding for 35 years and to me, nothing rides like a Harley, and nothing else sounds like it or feels like it.
I am very biased...;)
I've owned 4 Harley's and won't buy anything else.
Those that say they aren't quality machines haven't owned one...and they always remember someone with an OLD one or a Sporty...not the same.

whatever you decide to buy, get the most out of your riding class and ride safe and cautious...those cages are out to kill you. enjoy the freedom!;)

If you really want to know what I am smoking, try a Puff:):)

I can understand brand loyalty, but I have gone cross county several times on a honda and have over 60,000 miles on my yamaha. For comfort fit and finish, I really like my buddies BMW (to bad it is as ugly as sin). The only people who I know that are happy with thier harleys have spent over $18,000 on thier bike and then put another $10,000 in after market parts and custom paint jobs.

Sorry, but I also like to skydive.

At least with every other bike out thier a person can be happy with it $10,000 out of the box and stock.:D

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Take as much advice as you want, but go to your local harley shop yourself and rent for a half day or full day whichever bike you think you might like. the rates are cheap... like $75-100 depending on size. you can probably even swap bikes mid-day if you don't like what you are riding. Its a good investment if you are going to spend thousands on a bike. Also, say what you will about a harley, but when you turn around to sell a harley, it'll hold its value far better than any other bike I know.

. Also, say what you will about a harley, but when you turn around to sell a harley, it'll hold its value far better than any other bike I know.

I can sell my bike today for more than i paid for it 8 years ago.
Mind you it IS an Italian beauty:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I can sell my bike today for more than i paid for it 8 years ago.
Mind you it IS an Italian beauty:)

Ducatis are very nice... and the dry clutch is fascinating. But... you still should not park it on Main St. at Sturgis.

I dont own a Ducati:D:D They make more than one Marque in Italy;)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

While I agree with the rational for going with the suggestions of a Heritage Softail or Dyna Low rider there are reasons that I suggested the sportster. The 883 and 1200 can be had any day of the week for a good price (about 1/2 of the others). The newer models have rubber motor mounts and are more comfortable than models of the past; however, I agree it is not the best bike for going on long rides all the time. I was looking more at recommending an entry level bike to see how you do and give you time to look at other bikes as you gain experience and determine your taste.

Think of it like skydiving, your first canopy should not be the high performance one. I also like the suggestion given of going down to a Harley dealer and renting a couple of different models to see what you like.

In the end I bought mine off of eBay for about 40% less than the dealer and could not be happier.

Stay safe and be well,
Mike
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

Think of it like skydiving, your first canopy should not be the high performance one.

Stay safe and be well,
Mike

That's like going from an X228 to an X300 Harley = High perforamce ccanopy:D:D:D Thats farking funny mike:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Thats farking funny mike

Please tell me that is not your best shot?:P I will use smaller words and speak slower from now on.;)
Dude you're the one comparing Harleys to high performance ANYTHINGS:D:D:D

come back and chat when you know what a high performance bike looks like:D:D:D

Here is a hint

:D:D:D:D
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

First of all I was comparing Harley's to Harley's since that is the subject. Did you not read that no other brands were a consideration? Are you saying that the Heritage Softail or Dyna Low rider are not higher end and cost bikes than the Sportster? By the way, performance does not always mean the fastest! You might want to look up the synonym for performance (you can find that in one of the big word books);) The good news is that Evelyn will probably understand what I was saying so that is all that matters.

Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

First of all I was comparing Harley's to Harley's since that is the subject. Did you not read that no other brands were a consideration? Are you saying that the Heritage Softail or Dyna Low rider are not higher end and cost bikes than the Sportster? By the way, performance does not always mean the fastest! You might want to look up the synonym for performance (you can find that in one of the big word books);) The good news is that Evelyn will probably understand what I was saying so that is all that matters.

OK since you are are only comparing hardly davos, the 1200 sporty is a higher performance bike for handling awell set up sporty is much quicker in the twisties than a glide or softie
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?