mark

Lines out of order on links

As long as the lines go through the correct slider grommet to the correct riser, would it matter for function or durability if the lines were out of order at the links? I'm especially interested in responses citing experimental data; I'd settle for anecdotes.

Thanks!
Mark

i think that if they're in the wrong order, they'll have to cross over each other at some point so, that would cause extra wear and tear that is not necessary. maybe it's negligible in the long run but, i'd say that it's never a good idea to have line rubbing on line if they don't have to.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

I know over the years I've found a couple of mains that were on the links out of order and had been in use for some length of time. No observed issue. Just put them on in the right order.

But why leave them wrong in the first place?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

On a very soft-opening canopy of mine I think I've had my slider fail to come down the last foot due to a twisted riser (i.e. lines are in the correct order relative to each other but the riser was twisted when the lines were attached so the lines are not in correct order relative to the riser). I have to spend extra time reaching waaaay up to get it and make it stop flap-flap-flapping. (I hate that.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I have been jumping my Sabre 120 with dacron lines with an intentional 180 of the link on the front risers for the past few years. The canopy gets an average of 40 jumps a year the past few years. I use it for CRW downplanes among other things. Having seen a few main assemblies done with a link twisted and/or lines in the wrong order on the link and having had the same question as you, i;ve been doing my own experimaent over time to see if there is detriment due to a link being 180'd on the front riser. The advantage of the link being 180'd on the front riser causes the dive loop to turn and face outboard making it less prone for getting my CrW buddies feet in when they put their feet below my slider and in between the risers. My reaction time getting into and using the diveloops increased while doing CRw. So far damage is negligable on the line,no lines cross nor have friction wear due to link being 180'd on the front risers.

But why leave them wrong in the first place?

The line that is outboard at the link is the one most "polished" by the slider grommet. If the lines are in otherwise good shape, why not change the order on the link to even out the wear?

I'm thinking particularly about PD tandem line sets which include a sacrificial line stub to protect the outboard lines from premature wear. If it were okay to change the order of lines, the sacrificial line would be unnecessary.

[CrazyL:] I have been jumping my Sabre 120 with dacron lines with an intentional 180 of the link on the front risers for the past few years... The advantage of the link being 180'd on the front riser causes the dive loop to turn and face outboard making it less prone for getting my CrW buddies feet in when they put their feet below my slider and in between the risers. My reaction time getting into and using the diveloops increased while doing CRw.

Neat idea! Thanks!

Mark