borimex

Skydiving and Health

As long as the fart issue goes... I have only made 6 jumps and managed not to fart in the airplane. I guess it will happen someday.

The skill is to be able to hold it until you NEED it...like when you gotta have that bit of extra drive to get into a slot in the formation. :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You have any thoughts on Epilepsy and skydiving?

It's risky, but if a person was seizure-free on stable medications for a year ( or what is required in your state to get a driver's license ) and used an AAD, then you might consider it. Avoid things that precipitate seizures, such as fatique, sleep deprivation, etc. Still very risky and epilepsy is disqualifying for a pilot's medical certificate. I wouldn't recommend it, except as a tandem passenger, unless you and the DZO were willing to accept the risk of becoming incapacitated after leaving the AC. Perhaps others with experience in this area will disagree.

Good post (emphasis mine). What DOES precipitate the seizures in the would be-skydiver? It's never smart to skydive after sleep deprivation and the other things mentioned, but you also need to consider the fact that epilepsy is different for every individual.

What type of seizures does the person experience?
What triggers the seiuzures? Are they sensitive to flashing lights? Loud noises? Stress? How long are they seizure free? Are they allowed (medically, not necessary legally) to drive a car? Do they take meds? How much and with what frequency? Are they experiencing any side effects of said meds?
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I am by no means a medical professional but I've always considered the high heart rate and heightened sense of awareness from the higher heart rate (I call it the WANTED Factor..ie the movie) but if your heart rate was normal wouldn't you think that your reaction time would be just a bit slower than if you heart was already racing?...just my opinion.

Also, not mentioned are what aura or warnings of impending seizure does to person have, and how long is the warning. ( i.e. long enough to pull? )

There is a neurologist skydiver who posts occasionally. I was hoping he'd chime in with an opinion. Maybe he still will. But this is getting off topic.
Alton

"Luck favors the prepared."

Also, not mentioned are what aura or warnings of impending seizure does to person have, and how long is the warning. ( i.e. long enough to pull? )

There is a neurologist skydiver who posts occasionally. I was hoping he'd chime in with an opinion. Maybe he still will. But this is getting off topic.

I'm not a neurologist but have spent a good bit of time working w/ people w/ seizures. You are right that many people have a pre-monition or feelings right before a seizure starts. This differs from person to persona and even from seizure to seizure. Might be enough, might not be. If you were counting on this to give you enough time to pull I think that would be an extremely foolish decision.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

You are right that many people have a pre-monition or feelings right before a seizure starts. This differs from person to persona and even from seizure to seizure. Might be enough, might not be. If you were counting on this to give you enough time to pull I think that would be an extremely foolish decision.

I agree completely. That's why I feel tandems, unfortunately, are the only safe option for someone with seizures.

As noted, this is off topic. There are a number of threads about jumping with seizures on the "Jumping with disabilities" forum.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1379438;search_string=seizures;#1379438
Alton

"Luck favors the prepared."

I do not feel so bad now. Twice in my 55 jumps I have almost bought down a jump plane with a toxic one. The first was on a cessna on jump run for my first static line. The JM and pilot laughed. I thought to myself "How can you laugh at farts at a time like this" I laugh about it now though.
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??