MagicGuy

Pwned?!

Ok, I see all over the place this word.. 'pwned'. "Watch my friend get pwned on his skateboard". It's all over youtube.

Does the world just now know how to spell 'owned'? Or does pwned mean something else?

This has been bothering me for the longest time!

Depends on who you ask, about where it comes from, but basically it means you're "owned." Some say it's "pawned" in shorthand, others say it's typo for "owned." In other words, you got your ass handed to you.

it is slang for people who spend too much time on a computer. often when trying to type "owned" quickly, it comes out as pwned, and has become a classic. much the same as "elite" became "L33T", often with the injection of the word uber, which is german for super, giving you "You got pwned, I'm Uber L33t Yo!" This concludes your ghettofied computer lessons of the day

Pwn is a slang term that implies domination or humiliation of a rival, used primarily in the Internet gaming culture to taunt an opponent that has just been soundly defeated. Examples include "you just got pwned". It can also be used, especially by non-gamers, in the context of getting "pwned" by The Man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Ok, I thought it was the same thing as owned but why the hell do they spell it pwned? I'm totally down with internet lingo but usually they make words to make it quicker to type i.e. LOL. To use a p instead of o is just.. stupid.

Edit to add: I didn't get to reply fast enough. So it pretty much just derived from mis-spelling owned by typing it too fast. Strange..

Edit to add: I didn't get to reply fast enough. So it pretty much just derived from mis-spelling owned by typing it too fast. Strange..

Yep.

When facing Nefarian (giant dragon) in Blackwing Lair (really hard area of World of Warcraft) and your entire guild (group of many players who band together to kill bigger and badder things) wipes (everybody dies), and you're all typing really fast to discuss how completely and totally you just got your asses kicked, instead of typing "OMG owned!" it comes out "OMG pwned!" (pronounced "poned") so it's easier to just type pwned in the first place because then your misspelling is intentional.

LOL.. IDK, I'm totally ROFLMAO at the fact that I totally just got PWNED on internet lingo.

ZOMGWTFBBQ!!!one!!!!eleven!!!

I was playing Call of Duty 3 online recently, and one of my team mates kept yelling 'Lol!' every time something amused him. :|

Seems to me if you're wearing a headset then actual laughing out loud would be an option. And much less annoying.