shropshire

Alpine ski tourers, assistance please

I've never 'skinned' yet but plan to on my next trip to T'Alps... I only plan short distances and dont want to run to the cost of full (expensive) kit (AT skis and bindings)... I've seen Alpine Trekker plate adapters at around 170 of your 'merican dolla', that fit into standard DIN bindings ..

My question is, has anyone here had any experience of these (either good or bad).

Cheers peeps.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

More like "Alpine Day Wreakers." You are going to be MUCH happier spending a few extra dollars to rent real Alpine Touring equipment. Regular alpine boots don't allow you to hike well at all. AT boots allow the cuff to hinge further and allow for a much longer step, which at the end of a day adds up. With AT gear you can take off your skins without removing the skis. With the Alpine Trekkers you have to step out of the ski which could mean you post hole to your waist. As if that wasn't enough proper AT gear is way lighter which equates to less energy every step and more distance traveled and more skiing. As an avid backcountry skier I wouldn't go out with someone using those because they totally suck and I don't want to waste my time waiting for them to put all that stuff together then take it apart each run.

I as well as others that I know have used Trekkers with absolutely no problems. Yes something like Fritschi's & AT boots are nicer, but also a lot more money. If you don't skin very often, you might not notice much difference in weight because either you are in good shape to skin up trails or you are not. Even if you are in decent shape, like any sport that you don't participate in on a regular basis, it can be challenging. Renting gear might be the way to go if you have that option.

You're gonna have a blast doing that, I did qite a bit of touring two winters ago and it was a great time, awesome workout too. Just make sure you rush up on your avalanche knowledge before heading out, that stuff can definitely save your life.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks Dan. I'm not planning on anything major (distance wise) and will take instruction... I mainly want to be doing it, to get to some SpeedRide take offs (away from the lift system) - but I hear what you say about the avalanche risk (on my recent trip I was unable to get to the selected take-off because of that risk).

All the best.

(.)Y(.)

I went through the avalanche course that ski patrols get a few years back and it was some pretty cool stuff, you don't really need to know all the testing for what you'll be doing but I'd venture to guess that a quick google search would pull up some info that would show you how to identify the risk factors. Also local ski patrols of forest service stations should be able to give you avalanche reports that will show where all the big risk factors are.

Good luck and have fun
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Whoopeeee... I've done my first day out on Skins and I'm hooked (and blistered... damed rental boots!!). In fact I'm so hooked, I'm about to order a set of Bandit B3 Respects, Fritschi Explore bindings and a skins.

B|

(.)Y(.)

Whoopeeee... I've done my first day out on Skins and I'm hooked (and blistered... damed rental boots!!). In fact I'm so hooked, I'm about to order a set of Bandit B3 Respects, Fritschi Explore bindings and a skins.

B|

Well, I'm impressed! I had no idea the UK had peaks like that!:o
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.