Mostly_Harmless

Need a riggers help! 2 questions

If anyone could help me it would be great. I am trying to attach a Safire to my Javelin D bag, is this the correct way?:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/outlaw12cz/Javelin/DSCN0435.jpg

Also in the next picture the lines on the right are from a Sabre and the lines on the left are from the Safire, are they the same material? They feel different? Also does it look like the Safire needs a relining? Thanks in advance!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/outlaw12cz/Javelin/DSCN0436.jpg

Can't help you with the reline issue other than to say take it to your local rigger.

With the attachment point, personally I use a soft link on all my gear and recommend it to all my clients as well. Again, show it to your rigger to make sure that you are attaching it properly.

Stay Safe
Koppel
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Disclaimer: I am _not_ a rigger.

That said here are some things to think about. I personally "lark's head" my d-bag to the canopy attachment point. I do not use a link of any kind but I can't tell from your picture if it is feasible or not since my kill line stops at the d-bag grommet at a rapide link inside the bag IIRC.

Secondly, the lines on your canopy are Vectran, not Spectra like your Sabre and will look different and "dirty" much faster than Spectra. The discoloration is not cause for a reline, they all look like than as they age. PM masterrigger1 if you have questions regarding a reline. He is an Icarus service rep.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

The D-bag is on correctly. Make sure the link is 1/4 past hand tight. Dont want to lose it:P I also recommend a soft link or a silicone bumber over the link.

The lines do appear to be Vectran. They are going to appear a tannish wheat color when new and greyish as they get older. Definetly have a rigger look at it before you jump to put you at ease.

Here is some info about lines from the Icarus website WWW.ICARUSCANOPIES.AERO

Spectra:

Spectra line has a limited life and will generally need replacing any where from 300-600 jumps for 500lb line and 500-1000 jumps for 725lb line. Note: your canopy may need re-lining sooner as a result of being out of trim (refer above).

Vectran:

Vectran has become a popular choice due to its superior dimensional integrity. In other words, they won't shrink or distort nearly as much as will Spectra. As a result your canopy will retain better openings and flight characteristics for the duration of the line sets life.

NOTE: Vectran does not have as much abrasion resistance as Spectra, and the lines will "fuzz out" sooner than Spectra

It is recommended that you check line wear regularly. In particular, check out the lower control lines; they wear out fastest.

Once again we recommend a line set replacement anywhere between 300 and 600 jumps but due to the variables involved, we recommend that you pay close attention to line wear and if in doubt at least replace your lower control lines regularly.

The life of your lines will depend on several factors like your weight, the cleanliness of your packing environment, the number of lines (7-Cell or 9-Cell), how well you look after them and the condition of your slider grommets. Linesets should be monitored for wear and trim and retrimmed or replaced as you would a set of tires on a car. The things to look out for are trims, wear spots, snags and worn stitching. Often wear spots can appear quite bad but still retain much of their strength (such as wear by Velcro) and sometimes a line can appear in quite good condition and be weakened considerably (often underneath a fingertrap). A simple test is to squeeze the line between your thumb and finger and slide it along, if the line or wear spot gets thinner it is more than likely weakened. Other common wear spots are the lower brake lines and the corner lines where they meet the connector links. You can monitor the condition of your lines easily while packing, about every 50 jumps have a closer look, If you are unsure of something check with your rigger. One of the best things you can do to improve the life of your lines is to use soft links and monitor the condition of your slider grommets
If your canopy is equipped with brake set loops rather than a cats-eye configuration, check them periodically for wear. These finger-trapped loops are especially susceptible to wear and, if not in top shape, can result in premature brake release.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Thanks guys! I was told the canopy has around 300 jumps on it. It seems to be in good condition. I installed it myself and ran the lines, they look like they are on straight. Unfortunately it did not have covers for the rings so I think I might go the softlink route. Are they hard to install? Johnny I responded to your PM.