DJL

New Engine or New Car? 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

So I just got a bunch of stuff fixed on the Ride to make sure I can get it over the 200k mark and all of a sudden my engine goes kaput. So it's either a new engine or a new car. Everything else about the car is in good working order. Anyone ever dropped a new engine in a Grand Cherokee? I'm interested in hearing if you got your money's worth.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Guess it would depend on the new motor cost with install. If you are doing it yourself youll save a boat load otherwise I imagine labor will raise your cost a lot.

I have nver done a Jeep but Im sure there are non-shade tree mechs that could help you out better.
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

The dealership will do it for 4k but I found a good engine for 1k and would be ok with a back-yard job. I'd make a project of it if it were an old CJ but all the electronic shit on new cars make me nervous. I'm fortunate enough to have another car I can use for now so I'm not in a rush.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Personally, i'd find a junkyard engine and overhaul it (if it's got good compression on all cylinders, replace gaskets and seals, check the bearing clearances while the oil pan gasket is off, etc.).
Far less than a grand if you do it yourself. Just did this with my little red Jimmy.
As long as you are mechanically inclined and have some basic tools and a torque wrench, and a good manual (Chilton's not haynes)you should be all set.
Put the money you save into some skid plates and a budgit boost. Or just asssume a $4K engine rebuild and throw the remainder into a Clayton's long arm kit and turn that thing into a serious crawler.

What exactly happened with the old engine?

Learn to be happy. You can't be there for anybody else in life if you can't learn to be there for yourself.

Even from a high-priced shop, you should be able to get an engine swap done for $500-$700 labor, tops. As for the engine, I urge caution....even something like a Jasper or Crate, can be crap. Myself, I won't get involved with junkyard parts 'coz usually...they are, what they are. Unless you know the engine's true history, you're taking an awful chance. It's often difficult to tell if an engine has been overheated, at any point during its lifetime and if it ever was, it isn't worth rebuilding. An overheated block can be weak and Jeep engines have a long history of cracked heads and blocks, anyway.

I see a lot of problems with rebuilt engines. When you buy a re-man, you give them your old engine as a "core", that they rebuild and sell to someone else. The quality of the finished product, is only as good as the core. I've seen these things shatter, in a matter of hours because the core blocks were stressed.
"T'was ever thus."

I purchased a Jeep in similar condition to yours. I also had to drop a new engine in it becuase its previous engine went bad. I paid 2K to get a decent engine in. Shipped the Jeep overseas (That's something I do on the side, send cars to my country, Saudi Arabia, to have them sold over there).. Up to this point, the buyer still recommends me to people there.. So I guess he is happy with it:)
So in my opinion, I guess it's worth it..

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" Franklin

Pull it and rebuild it yourself. Assuming that the block, crank, cam and heads are in good shape, then the rebuild will only take you a few days and some time with the machine shop. No big deal and its enjoyable.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The dealership will do it for 4k but I found a good engine for 1k and would be ok with a back-yard job. I'd make a project of it if it were an old CJ but all the electronic shit on new cars make me nervous. I'm fortunate enough to have another car I can use for now so I'm not in a rush.

Don't let the electronics scare you! I'm an "old school back yard mechanic" & I'm here to tell you that all you need to do is transfer any sensors onto the new engine, plug them in & it's ready to go.

One thing I've learned is: These things are made & designed to be built by monkeys! It's nearly impossible to plug anything in to wrong place as the plugs are all unique. IOW, it only goes together one way!

I also would recommend pulling the engine & having a reputable machine shop rebuild it rather than take a chance with a mass-remanufacturer or a crate engine. If you didn't sling a rod through the side, it should be good for rebuilding.

Total cost should be under $2K for a rebuild & DIY swap.

Just out of curiosity, which engine, 4.0 or 5.2? I know a little about the 4.0, but too much about the 318's! ;)

BTW, last 318 I bought was right out of the bone yard. I got to it as it was being brought in, started it & bought it on the spot. Threw it in a 68 Barracuda & used (& abused) it for 5 or 6 years. It's my brother's car now & it's had a Herb McCandless 340 in it for about the last 20 years (it's been in the family since 1980). Pic attached, from last fall, moving along at about 75 on the Pa Turnpike.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.