RALFFERS

Gym Partner

Does anybody here go to XSport Fitness? They have over 18 locations in the Chicago area, & my membership allows me to go to anyone of them.

It would be nice to work out with somebody, for a variety of reasons - 1 of which is I'd be more accountable. I've made considerable improvement, but there certainly is room for more. August is fast approaching & I want to make the best of these last 3 months, in preparation for my next tunnel sessions. Not only so that AFF comes & goes ASAP, but I need to make the best of that hour in the crack pipe so that my confidence is up to par when it comes time to start jumping on a regular basis. I will NOT have a repeat of my 1st session!
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Look at this - damn, I have to reply t myself; what's the world coming to?...:|

I refuse to believe there are no Chi-town dz.commers that don't go to the gym.

What?....you're other hobby being a coach potato? :P

I am in the area, but I belong to Ballys- sorry.

A gym/ workout buddy can be great if you've both got similar goals, schedules and motivation, but they can also be DE-motivating for a lot of different reasons. Right now, my best workout buddy is my iPod and one thing that keeps me on track is a weekly appointment with a trainer (who expects me to workout more than once a week.....) and some group exercise/ dance classes I really enjoy. On Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, I pretty much always have something "scheduled". That leaves Mondays and the weekends when I am on my own. I've been doing really well about Monday workouts- weekends are tougher, but I'm getting there. At some point, I'll have to let go of the trainer because I really can't afford him, but I hope I'll have learned enough from him and established enough of a habit to keep it up on my own.

I'm totally with you on the trainer thing - I love workin out with him, just can't afford it. I think I pretty much know what I should be doing by now.

I work my upper body 1 day, & my lower body/legs the next - that's my entire week. Although the exercises & machines I use vary, for the most part.

At home I stretch & simulate an arch for 5 minutes a day, twice a day (most times.) I'm also thinking it would be a good idea to sleep with the full-leg braces I use to stretch with the entire night. Actually, I 'm gonna start that tonight.

Back in '02, before I was injured I had a gym buddy/trainer. It was my friend Josh. His family and mine are extremely close. Josh was extremely disciplined and was ripped like the guys in the exercise magazines. I asked him if he would consider training me. What I didn't know is that he really wanted a friend to go with. He refused to take any money from me. We went every other day for 2 hours at a time. He wasn't a professional trainer but he certainly knew what he was doing. I saw significant results in no time. Unfortunately he hurt his back in an unrelated incident and not long after I had my injury.

It really helped us both to stay committed to the workout plan and we had a lot of laughs also.

Good luck.

Make a buddy at the gym. Tis a lot easier to find someone that is already committed to working out, than to try and convert someone into going to the gym with you.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I second that! I have a friend who lives only a few blocks away. We're both overweight, same age and in the same line of work and we used to belong to the same gym. We tried to do the "workout buddy" thing several times in the past. It never worked for longer than a week or two. On days that she was gung ho, I wanted to sleep in, and after work when I was the one who wanted to go, she was tired from working late or whatever. We probbaly skipped more or our planned workouts than we actually made. I found I was better off not depending on someone else to keep me motivated. And now? I hit the gym regularly, I've lost a lot of weight (still have a lot more to go......) and she doesn't get to the gym and is still at least 50 pounds overweight with "excuses" that range from injuries to a busy work schedule and anything in between. I'm not knocking her- getting healthy and in shape has just been more of a priority for me than it has been for her.