borgy

Cut away at 100 feet??

I was at the DZ on the weekend and a couple of guys were telling me about a new reserve system which can have you cut away and under a reserve in 100 feet. Aparently there is a promo video of a base jumper cutting away at 100 feet and landing safely. Does anyone know anything about this product?
I only trust two people in this world, one of them is me and the other one aint you.
Nicolas Cage as Cameron Poe in "Con Air"

Here we go again, the same old load of bullshit.

Edit, just incase you're not trolling:

Aparently there is a promo video of a base jumper cutting away at 100 feet and landing safely.

The highly experienced knuckeheads that did this had their reserves packed SLIDER OFF. This would kill you in a terminal situation.

The SkyHook is a neat invention. It WILL NOT save you from yourself.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

One thing to bear in mind is that the reserve was packed slider down as a demonstration of how quick it can be. In real world applications you won't get 100ft performance. I'm guessing you'll probably want your reserve packed slider up in case of a high speed mal! ;)

Sorry not trolling, just an inexperienced person asking a question about some info I heard. thanks for clearing it up.
I only trust two people in this world, one of them is me and the other one aint you.
Nicolas Cage as Cameron Poe in "Con Air"

I was at the DZ on the weekend and a couple of guys were telling me about a new reserve system which can have you cut away and under a reserve in 100 feet. Aparently there is a promo video of a base jumper cutting away at 100 feet and landing safely. Does anyone know anything about this product?

Don't try it,(not the product just the implication) unless YOUR LIFE depends upon it!!! Sub 100' cut aways are/ have been and WILL always be a VERY risky proposition. Best advice : Don't find yourself in this situation unless it's the "option of last resort". Plan ahead, this includes all of your options about your emergency procedures.

What's good for BASE does not necessarly translate to sport sky-diving on a 1:1 basis. Do some research, you'll be supprised at what you learn.

Fall safe.
Mick.

Pretty damn neat invention. I saw the video of the cut a way at 100 ft......pretty impressive. I still wouldn't want to do it unless I knew if I didn't it'd be certain death!

The good news about certain-death problems that don't develop until 100 feet AGL is you don't have to worry about them for very long.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

How long is the a subTerm. reserve openin sequence with the skyhook for standard skydiving practice?

Also- how fast is an "instant deployment" with RSL or quick silver pull without the a SkyHook.

Just wondering.

I've heard 200ft for the first, and 500 for the second.. but I have never really heard figures either beyound guesses or educated guesses.

Pretty damn neat invention. I saw the video of the cut a way at 100 ft......pretty impressive. I still wouldn't want to do it unless I knew if I didn't it'd be certain death!

If you did it on a normal Skyhook-equipped sport rig, you'd probably die. Remember, those reserves were packed slider-off, a configuration that would kill you if used at terminal.

How long is the a subTerm. reserve openin sequence with the skyhook for standard skydiving practice?

Also- how fast is an "instant deployment" with RSL or quick silver pull without the a SkyHook.

Just wondering.

I've heard 200ft for the first, and 500 for the second.. but I have never really heard figures either beyound guesses or educated guesses.

TSO requirements state no more than 300 ft. and 3 seconds from zero airspeed I believe.

Just wondering.

I've had a number of conventional RSL reserve deployments on a Reflex. The deployment took much less than 500 feet, closer to 200 or 300.

For Great Deals on Gear

TSO requirements state no more than 300 ft. and 3 seconds from zero airspeed I believe.

AS-8015B

4.3.6 Functional Test (Normal Pack All Types): For all 4.3.6 tests the maximum allowable opening time for parachute canopies with a maximum operating weight of 250 lb (113.4 kg) or less, is 3 s from the moment of pack opening. For parachutes with a maximum operating weight of greater than 250 lb (113.4 kg) the maximum allowable opening time shall be increased by 0.01 s for every pound of maximum operating weight in excess of 250 lb (113.4 kg).

Alternatively altitude loss instead of time may be measured and the maximum allowable altitude loss may be calculated as follows. For all 4.3.6 tests the maximum allowable altitude loss for parachutes with a maximum operating weight of 250 lb (113.4 kg) or less is 300 ft (91.5 m) from the altitude at pack opening. For parachutes with a maximum operating weight of greater than 250 lb (113.4 kg) the maximum allowable altitude loss shall be increased by 1 ft for every pound of maximum operating weight in excess of 250 lb (113.4 kg). NOTE: Altitude loss measurements must be measured along a vertical trajectory only. However, the deviation from the vertical produced by a gliding main parachute descending with a vertical velocity of less than 20 FPS (6.1 m/s) shall be acceptable.

4.3.6.2 Breakaway Drop Tests: Eight drops shall be made by a person weighing not more than the maximum operating weight by breaking away from an open and normally functioning main parachute canopy with a vertical velocity of less than 20 FPS (6.1 m/s) at the time of breakaway and actuating the reserve pack within 2 s of the breakaway. If a reserve static line is part of the assembly, no less than 4 of the breakaway drops shall be made with the reserve static line actuating the reserve pack. The parachute canopy must be functionally open within the time +2 s, or altitude, obtained in 4.3.6 from the time of breakaway.

Sparky:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The SkyHook is a neat invention. It WILL MAY NOT save you from yourself.

There, I fixed it for you.

Didn't need fixing. Wet behind the ear know-it-alls don't need glimmers of hope to encourage foolish behaviour.

* note: this is not any sort of insult directed at any one in particular, I've just seen some very dumb people in this sport.

According to whom, you? So given your statement above, all of the information that you post on here is subject to validation as you may knowingly give wrong information because of what you may believe is in the best interest of someone?

The bottom line is that the Skyhook most certainly could save your life at a lower altitude regardless of the reason as to how you got there.

I do however agree with the last part of your last sentance.