LisaM

Root Canals.....

No . . . the idea is to fix it before it hurts. When it hurts, it is infected and too late. I have had a root canal when it is too late, and one when it was wasn't. Trust me. Fix it now. :S

Agreed. Many of us don't realize they are in need of one until the tooth becomes extremely sensitive to heat/cold or pressure. By the time you have those symptoms, there is usually an abscess and it is a lot more difficult to treat.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

They test it with extreme cold. I guessing it was liquid nitrogen on a swab.

I never heard of this test and I had two root canals. And both were extremely sensitive to hot or cold foods. I could have easily jumped out of my chair by just drinking tea...B|

That's how they tested me, and they told me that since the nerve was dead, I needed a root canal. They were working pretty fast and maybe I got the process confused. Maybe they were just drilling into my wallet.:D With all the nitrous, I'm not sure.

Any dentists in the house to shed some light on all this?

Maybe they were just drilling into my wallet.:D With all the nitrous, I'm not sure.

Well, that's pretty much a given, as soon as you step into your dentist's office.:D That's why I get my fillings w/o novocain or anything else that can impair my judgement. There should be no funny business going on in my mouth while high...:D

If they did x-rays of your teeth, they can usually tell if so much of the basic tooth and roots are destroyed and are not salvagable.

I've had so many root canals, I can't even think about it. All of mine came from no advance warning and an abscess that started on a Friday, of course, when you can't see anyone until Monday. B|

I've had four children with no pain meds, using natural childbirth methods. Trust me when I tell you that those were a walk in the park compared to an abscessed tooth pain!

If you really feel that the dentist might be a quack, by all means, get a second opinion. But please don't wait until you're hurting.

Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

That's how they tested me, and they told me that since the nerve was dead, I needed a root canal. They were working pretty fast and maybe I got the process confused. Maybe they were just drilling into my wallet.:D With all the nitrous, I'm not sure.

Any dentists in the house to shed some light on all this?

Maybe they were trying to be certain which tooth. I had one going bad (heat = lots of pain), and on a Thursday we couldn't be certain which tooth it was, even with tapping, cold, and hot. By Saturday it was pretty clear, and it was obvious when the dentist drilled into the tooth that he hit pay dirt. Previous one, several years ago, was done at the same time as a crown, and was more obviously the culprit.