Diversgodown

Questions about used Rigs

I'm looking around for a used rig and would appreciate anybody's input on what to look for. and how much a rigger charges to inspect one. I was looking at this one http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=30890&d=1 but thought the jump numbers might be a little high. What is a reasonable # of jumps for a rig. and what have other people done that buy rigs from other states if you want to get it looked at buy a rigger? Pay shipping, then inspected and if it's ok pay for it? Does the seller go for something like that?

***Glory Favors the Bold***

in my limited experience, every situation is different. jump numbers don't mean as much as how the rig was treated and where it was jumped. was it jumped someplace dusty or salty? was it packed indoors or out? has it been well cared for or 'rode hard and put away wet'?

as far as rigger inspections, they would all charge something different depending on what you want. do you want the rig completely disassembled to look at the reserve or just a superficial look see? in many cases, the rigger will act as a middleman for you and the seller. the seller would ship to a rigger, the rigger would render an opinion, and if you want it, he would hold the rig until he sees the cheque, then release the rig to you and the cheque to the seller. at least that's how it worked for me on my first rig.

is the rig suitable for you? the usual advice here is 'talk to your instructors'. they know you and your abilities better than anyone here.

your mileage may vary. there have been other posts on the subject, a search would probably net you several different opinions. good luck! ;)
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Well the size is good. That's what I've been jumping per Instructor ok! Thanks for the advice on the Rigger that helps. I'll have to see if SDD has a rigger I think they do.

They do (Jeff). You can get in touch either by calling the DZ, or sending him an email (I think I have his email address, PM me if you want it).

I charge $45.00 for an inspection and repack. Ask the seller if he will allow a rigger to broker the deal. If he won't, he isn't for real. Find another deal and move on.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

That rig looks like a very fair deal. Find out if the main has been relined. If not, you will need to do that.

How much do you weigh? How tall are you?

Are you flirtin with me. ;)

5'10" ish 165 ish--- Blue eyes, Brown hair, and I like long walks on the beach :)

No. If I was flirting with you, I would have asked for your inseam!

Are you looking for a 170 main? Have you considered starting with a 190? THe 160 reserve seems on the small side for you.

:(:|:)
I have considered a 190. I think my first few jumps were a 210 at the time I weighed a little bit more 7 Pounds or so. I dropped to a 190 at around jump 13. went to a 170 per my instructors ok. I jumped a 170 until jump 25 and feel very comfortable with one. my landings haven't suffered and I thinks actually improved a little with the smaller canopy. I just think that if I go with a 190 I will out grow it shortly as I plan on making as many jumps as I can this summer. But your probably right about the 160 as a reserve. I will take into consideration replacing that with a large reserve if I decide to go with this rig. :)

I jumped a Raven II for my first 75 jumps or so. Good thing too, because even though I started off strong, I sure screwed up a time or two too. I wouldn't recommend anything so obsolete and gargantuan as what I had, but it's really nice to have your bones unbroken and joints intact. A lot better to fuck up under something forgiving.....and you WILL fuck up sooner or later.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Ok I've been trying to find a WL Chart and what is recommended. I get the felling I am pushing it with a 170. Can anybody point me in the direction to find out what I should be jumping. I would rather not break any bones and jump more than break bones and not jump. But if it is a toss up if I should be jumping a 170 or 190. Then I think I would go with a 170.

Ok I've been trying to find a WL Chart and what is recommended. I get the felling I am pushing it with a 170. Can anybody point me in the direction to find out what I should be jumping. I would rather not break any bones and jump more than break bones and not jump. But if it is a toss up if I should be jumping a 170 or 190. Then I think I would go with a 170.

Talk to Ernie, Mandy or Ron when you're out at the DZ. They've probably seen you land, they'll make sure you're getting something appropriate.

;)B|

A good WL chart is at
http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf

There's a long thread about it on here somewhere as well.

The chart gives two different values:
a) Top Number: Middle of Range {Square Feet}
*Not an absolute figure. See Relevant Variables (below)
b) Bottom Number: Minimum Size Allowed ( In Brackets)
*The size of the reserve canopy is dictated by recommendations from the manufacturer.

*The chart is based on Total Exit Weight:
[ jumper + all equipment] (average + 22 lbs)
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative