Squeak

Traveling the East coast of the USofA

As i have mentioned I'll be in the states again in December, We will be traveling overland from Toronto down the East Coast.
What would be the best way to do this with a vision of seeing what's on offer.
We will NOT be driving in the snow areas (neither my wife or I have any snow experience)
So would Buses or Trains be the way to go. Are there any other Line besides Greyhound?

What are the MUST SEE places on the way down?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Then you shouldn't be driving from Toronto if you will not be driving in any snow areas

you dont say:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

There's always Amtrak. I haven't used it before and didn't check to see if they're in Toronto, but I know it goes a lot of places.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

There's always Amtrak. I haven't used it before and didn't check to see if they're in Toronto, but I know it goes a lot of places.

i think there are Buses and Trains to the Border from Canada, but getting from New York south is where i would like some more input
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Places that I took my nephew to:

NYC

Philadelphia, PA (Ben Franklin stuffs - He was a frickin GENIUS!)

Washington DC (SMITHSONIAN!)

Smithsonian B| Must see that:)What are the cool Galleries on that side?
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Amtrak has train service on the east coast. I think they call it their Silver or Palmetto line, something like that. I only ever took it for very short trips on local trains, don't know what types of stops it makes. Not sure how tickets work, but it would be nice to start the train ride and have the ability to hop off and rent a car to do some site seeing on the way if weather cooperates. I know it goes through NY, Washington, DC and eventually hits Charlotte, NC, Jacksonville and ends in Miami but I really don't know where it goes in between.
Killing threads since 2004.

Places that I took my nephew to:

NYC

Philadelphia, PA (Ben Franklin stuffs - He was a frickin GENIUS!)

Washington DC (SMITHSONIAN!)

Smithsonian B| Must see that:)What are the cool Galleries on that side?

I LOVED the Air and Space Museum. . . . but there are 19 museums to chose from.

Smithsonian

I'll tell you what, unless you wanna be miserable for days and days I would definately NOT take a bus. Going anywhere on a Greyhound is absolutely horrible. Just sayin'.......:|

I have traveled from LA to Miami, to Kentucky, to Chicago, yo Seattle to SF to LA on a greyhound ;) I met some VERY cool people, and a few very odd people to:ph34r::ph34r:.
I've never been to the north east or East coast other then Florida
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Amtrak's service on the east coast, particularly in the Boston to DC corridor, is probably its best and most heavily utilized service. When I lived outside of DC I used it sometimes to travel up to New York or into Connecticut to my grandparents. If one of your hopes is to hit major tourist spots in east coast cities, you will find that the train stations will put you right in the heart of those cities. Bus stations might too, but usually a bit more on the sketchy edges.

As for what to do ... if you can time it to be in New York just before Christmas, I think seeing Manhattan dressed up for Christmas is something worth seeing. You can go harass Peter, too. :D Others have already mentioned taking advantage of all that DC has to offer much of it free. There's a lot to do in the area that is winter-weather friendly, including all the Smithsonian museums, the National Gallery of Art, the Holocaust Museum, and even bundling up and seeing all of the outdoor memorials can be nice without the throngs of tourists that you have in the summer. The chances of DC having snow in December are pretty low - it'll probably just be cold, and not that bitterly cold.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I would suggest the museum of American History. Lots of "americana" stuff there. The monuments are fun, but use a guided tour for that, so you see everything. Christmas in NYC is great, but DC is pretty too. If you arrange in advance, I think that you can go on guided tours of White House and Capitol Building. Check the web sites. Also, if you want to go a little south, Williamsburg is awesome. It's Colonial period buildings, re-enactments, food, people in period dress, is very cool and nothing else like it anywhere. Other than the DC area, I don't know much about the east coast, but the capitol area has a lot to offer!!
To borrow a line from Squeak...MY LIFE ROCKS!! HOW'S YOURS??!!!

East Coast is all about Amtrak.

And if you need a place to crash in NYC, you know who to call. :)

Peter,

You were very helpful in directing me and my mom with places to go and things to see (LOVED the bike ride through Central Park!!). What would you recommend for Sir Squeak and his lovely wife?

East Coast is all about Amtrak.

And if you need a place to crash in NYC, you know who to call. :)

It look like we will get a 30 day Amtrak/VIA rail pass to take us into Vancouver and from Toronto down the east coast.
Thanks for the off mate:)I would love for you to show us your town is possible Peter:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

This looks like what i will be traveling with.
I'm hoping it takes us from SF to Vancouver and back then from Toronto, to Miami (and in between), then across to LA (and in between)B|

I'm getting a little giggity giggity over it:ph34r::ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I had no idea we had one of those here. That's pretty cool and a very good value for the type of hop on hop off travel you want to do, Squeak.

You seem to be okay with buses, which is good because parts of the west coast service (I think only Seattle-Vancouver, but maybe sometimes Seattle-Portland, too) are provided on buses instead of trains. But SF-Vancouver, no matter what time of year you go, is a beautiful ride. Hopefully it'll be clear enough days for you to see some mountains, though. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke