Icon134

Bicycle Trailer

I was thinking about getting a bike trailer for my bike (in addition to a long cable lock to make my bike troublesome to steal) so I could use my bike to run to the local supermarket to get groceries. (I only live a mile or so away)

I've considered the one from BOB gear but wondered if anyone had any other ideas or thoughts?

I'm leaning towards the one without suspension (since I'm using it on the road) but would be interested in thoughts on getting one with suspension.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

IIRC, it is the Ibex model that BillVon has.
Of course his has an electric motor in the wheel now, and it is stuffed full of batteries.;)

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have an old bike trailer that was given away free by my neighbors when their kids outgrew it. It was designed to hold two kids side by side, so it has a ton of storage space. I use it for groceries, my labrador (she's 12) and just about anything else that won't fit in a backpack. Unfortunately it does not work with the frame on my Cannondale Prophet, but works like a champ on my old 1992 Stumpjumper. Unless you are riding a fire road or trail, suspension is just a waste of money. You might want to check Craigslist, Ebay, etc. for a used one, people give them away for a fraction of the price new once the kiddies are riding on their own.

Good point from Shawndiver: make sure it's going to fit your bike. If you have a pretty normal-shaped bike you should be good to go. If on the other hand you're on a bike with a frame built from large tubing (i.e. Shawn's Cannondale) or one that has some funky geometry going on in the rear triangle (i.e. suspension) then you want to be a bit more careful about making sure it fits before you sink the $$$.

My suggestion would be to buy at a local shop, or make sure whoever you order from online has a bombproof return policy. Even then, return shipping on an item this heavy is going to cost you, so still better to go with a local buy.

Elvisio "did my time in the shop, had fun, spent everything I made in there too" Rodriguez