jshatzkin

Mirage G3 vs. G4

I just replaced my G3 m5 with a G4 m3 and I much prefer the G4. I have found the yolk (sp?) on the G4 to be much more flexible and comfortable. Also, even though I had the deluxe backpad on my G3 the G4 backpad is still much more comfortable. The split D-bag on the G4 takes some getting used to but otherwise they are functionally almost identical. I have also found the G4 to be much more comfortable under canopy.

I would point out that my G4 is a bit smaller than my G3, M3 vs M5 so that may account for some of my opinion. I did purchase both of them new and the fit was spot on for both of them.

If I were to purchase a second rig right now I would get another G4 hands down. That's just me though I'm sure you will be happy with either one as they are both excellent rigs.

Guest 1010
several of the items that cost extra on the G3 are included in the G4 price (like the backpad), so it may depend a little on your options. I've never had a G3, but my G4 is a very heavy-duty, sturdy rig.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Our staff rigs are both G3s and G4s. The consensus is that both are great rigs, but in the larger sizes of canopies (150 up), the G3 is a little flatter and looks a little better. In the smaller sizes (120 down), the G4 looks better. Functionally, we like them both. I jump a G3 M4 with pretty much all of the options. Love it--quality gear.

I've had them both and there seems to be no real winner between either one. I know packers prefer the G3 because of the regular D-Bag but now you can get the regular dbag in a G4 so no more excuses. I have noticed it depends on the individual container. The first Mirage I jumped about 6 or 7 years ago was the most comfortable Mirage I had ever used. Everyone at the DZ loved it and everyone wanted to buy it but the owner said no way. When a duplicate rig was ordered with the exact specs it didn't even come close to the comfort of the original rig that it copied. Even after hundreds of jumps and being broke in, using the same size main and reserve, no dice. So I really think it's the individual rig and both are very similar in comfort in my humble opinion. I think it would boil down to $$$ and personal preference. Either one is a winner. I think also certain rigs are more comfortable because they were built on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. Make sure you check the day your rig was completed. If they say they'll have it finished on a Friday, tell them to wait until the following week and finish it up mid-week:)

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those that know how to count, and those who don't.

I have both, both custom.

I got the G4 first, a MT, in January 2004. It now has 500 dives on it and looks new.

I got the G3 next, also an MT, in January 2005. It now has 100 dives on it and looks new.

I also use another older G3 as a back to backer when busy.

The G4 is my work rig, used mainly for AFF.
The G3 is my fun rig, used mainly for wingsuit dives.

I'm incredibly satisfied with Mirage.

t
It's the year of the Pig.