snakeeater

career move

I've been rolling this around in my head (yeah plenty of space up there ;)) for over a year now and no useful results have come up.

My current job is boring (really really boring) and I need a new one. But not the same business, or industry, which makes it quite difficult.

How does one find out what job to look for if it should be anything other than what he's been doing so far?

cheers..

"He tried to kill me! He tried to f***ing kill me!"

Read this, or something like it.

Talk to lots and lots of people about what they do and why they like or don't like it. It's good networking, but also a good way to learn about stuff you might be interested in and whether your professional background could lead you in that direction or not.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

thank you for the hints.

I've always been suspicious about hints from books but maybe I can read it at work.. that would at least make the time pass faster.

networking and asking people is a great idea.. unless you happen to be surrounded by people who's jobs are even more boring than yours [:/]

It ain't too urgent. Just thought maybe someone here's doing something really interesting?

I feel ya snakeeater. My job is terribly boring and third shift. The money is good though and I gotta townhouse to pay for (and a car and a motorcycle). If you can though take a risk, you might fail but at least you've tried...

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

Pssssstttt...........all jobs become boring sooner or later.:o

You would think I have a super job (from the outside), but actually I'm quite bored with it. I think I'll change also in a couple years.

I wanna be a bush pilot. Does bush flying get boring?

?

I've been doing mine 10 years and not a boring minute yet:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

?

I've been doing mine 10 years and not a boring minute yet:)

I did say with exceptions!B| My friend flies helicopters over the Gulf of Mexico for a living. I went out with him a while back......We are flying along early in the morning, sun coming up...clear sky....calm water....buzzed a shrimp boat....and he looks over at me and says, "So how do you like my office?"........that fucker!

Squeak: so what exact form of attitude adjusting are you doing, then?

Beerlight: I'm starting to save up for my helicopter license, now. I'm sure most jobs get boring after a while. But at least they're not boring right away (like mine). Plus, what's wrong wanting one of those exceptions? After all, we're spending a big part of our (awake) life with it..

Squeak: so what exact form of attitude adjusting are you doing, then?

I work with problem teens, those kids who were always kicked out of class when some of them get to the mid to late teens I get them, and work with them (or against them sometimes :ph34r:) to get them a basic education
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Ok I see the non-boringness there. I've considered doing something in that direction, before. I had a chance to look into one or two 'social' jobs so far and it was very interesting. Would require going back to uni for quite a few years, though. And I have no idea if I had the talent and nerve for that kind of work. Specially the talent.

Plus, what's wrong wanting one of those exceptions? After all, we're spending a big part of our (awake) life with it..

totally agree with you on that..... I'm making my move soon too. Maybe not bush flying but sumthing else flying related....

Ok I see the non-boringness there. I've considered doing something in that direction, before. I had a chance to look into one or two 'social' jobs so far and it was very interesting. Would require going back to uni for quite a few years, though. And I have no idea if I had the talent and nerve for that kind of work. Specially the talent.

That's exactly what i did, I went back to high school, and then Uni. I was in my 30s then, but i kinda fell into teaching. My degree is a Science degree in Biology and Marine Science, with Post Grad qualifications in Teaching.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?