iluvtofly

No more perfect 10 in gymnastics

So, in case you haven't already heard they got rid of the perfect 10 in gymnastics. They now have a new screwy scoring system. I think it's a load of pooey. I liked the whole 1 to 10 thing. Very simple to understand. Everyone else uses it.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

I like the new system. One score for difficulty + one score for execution (which is still on a 10.0 scale) = total score.

Previously, you had to have a very difficult routine to even have a possibility of earning a 10, and now anyone could possibly get one (on execution) . . . it's not likely, but it's possible again.

I had to get used to it, but I like it now.

I hope you're being sarcastic.

Performing a perfect routine is damn near impossible. If they can do it, they deserve to see a 10 on the board - even if it doesn't win them anything.

I just think it's another way for the losers to feel better about themselves.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Yeah, you're right. Having perfect execution in Olympic gymnastics means nothing.

Now, people like Nastia Liukin can pump their routine full of difficulty, fall on their dismount, and still win a gold medal.

If anything, THAT'S the problem with the new system (although personally I don't think there's a problem at all).

Yeah, you're right. Having perfect execution in Olympic gymnastics means nothing.

Now, people like Nastia Liukin can pump their routine full of difficulty, fall on their dismount, and still win a gold medal.

If anything, THAT'S the problem with the new system (although personally I don't think there's a problem at all).

Exactly, a perfect execution means nothing now.

Again, I think you're just trying to get my goat.

It doesn't mean nothing - neither means nothing. Both mean a lot. But they have increased the value of difficulty relative to the value of execution.

I like goats but I don't want yours. It appears that they are attempting to increase the difficulty (probably for ratings) at the expense of the execution (but still want the people with perfect execution to feel good about themselves).

I think its long overdue. Other more "artistic" sports already use scoring systems that factor in the difficulty of the maneuver or routine. The way some of these sports (and athletes) are advancing, this is the only "fair" way not only to judge but also reward the athletes for taking risks and advancing the sport even further. (If you can get a perfect score on an "easy" routine, why push yourself to do something more difficult?)