alan

Chest strap question

I don't know of a fatality from a broken, or too loose chest strap, so I guess it's not much of a problem. I do know of people falling out of harnesses when they don't thread strap correctly, or at all.

I seem to remember something about destroyed chest strap a few years ago in one of Paul Sitters year end roundups on fatalities. If I recall correctly the MS 70101-1 had very sharp edges and sliced the T-8 C/S to the point of failure and the jumper came out of the harness. The MS 70101-1 survived intact but the webbing did not. I believe the end result was exaccerbated by a mis adjusted harness (MS 22040-1 missroute or somthing). Ahh the memory is becoming more and more fuzzy every year.

Mick.

Oddly, their chest straps look like Javelin style wrap-arounds at first glance, but photos of the damage reveal that they are not continuous.

Thank riggerrob You are exactly right. One raw end goes thru the hardware and the other end terminates shortly after wrapping the mlw. To break the cheststrap stitching at the mlw it must have had a peeling action during the deployment. Q:Do you think the user had done an extra wrap around the mlw then thru the hardware to cause that?