NewGuy2005

Problems with "Deviant Art" Website

My daughter visits and posts a little of her artwork on this website. Every time the website is open on our computer, it runs very slow and the hard drive sounds "busy" for lack of a better term.

The website has been around for a long time and seems to be pretty popular. Is anyone familiar with this website and what might be causing the degradation of performance?

My daughter visits and posts a little of her artwork on this website. Every time the website is open on our computer, it runs very slow and the hard drive sounds "busy" for lack of a better term.

The website has been around for a long time and seems to be pretty popular. Is anyone familiar with this website and what might be causing the degradation of performance?

How much RAM do you have? A "busy" hard drive often indicates the OS is utilizing hard drive space to compensate for insufficient RAM. A hard drive is significantly slower than RAM, which would slow down the machine.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

512 mb

512 MiB is not much. IIRC, it is the bare minimum (officially) supported on Windows XP, although I've seen it run (poorly) on much less.

I would be interested in seeing the ratio of page ins to page outs (or whatever MS calls it) before and after visiting that particular website. I'm not a Wingeek, though, so I can't tell you where that info is located in Windows.

I would be interested in seeing the ratio of page ins to page outs (or whatever MS calls it) before and after visiting that particular website.

I'm not familiar with that. Could you explain?

Not very well, I'm afraid. Perhaps this article will help.

What I do know is that the higher the ratio of page ins to page outs, the better. A low ratio usually indicates insufficient RAM in the computer for the workload. For example, the ratio on my laptop right now is 1.06 GiB to 1.70 MiB, or about 144. I have 3 GiB of RAM, which is more than enough for my typical workloads. However, there are times with some applications when 3 GiB of memory is only adequate, and that ratio falls to a value much closer to 1. If I did those tasks often, I would want to add more RAM.

I've been visiting DA for a long time. Never had any problems except for the occasional slowing of the site itself; but nothing like what you're describing.

Same. I've been going there myself for about 6 years. At times the site is slow due to traffic, though it's gotten a lot better. It shouldn't effect performance outside of the site itself though.

And 512MB on XP should be more than enough. What's weird is if you aren't experiencing this issue on anything but the Deviant Art site?
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan