jloirsdaan

Another canopy choice question.

I know comparing this canopy to that happens a whole lot in the forums. The biggest debate I've seen and heard is on the Sabre2 and Pilot. Okay, I've talked to enough people who jump pilots to draw the conclusion that's not the canopy I want.

I've demoed a Sabre2 170, and loved it...I own a original Sabre 190. Okay, after making over 150 jumps on it...I'm ready for a new canopy...I love the damn thing...but it opens quite "brisk" every once in a while. So I am looking into buying new gear very soon.

The Sabre2 I jumped opened very soft....but very much off heading....I didn't pack it...I hear packing is the problem all the time...I believe it...but it can't be all packing I wouldn't think. That'd be what drew me to a Pilot...but I'd rather go with something slightly more aggressive. Okay, lots of rambling to get to the question.....what about the Safire2? How does this canopy relate to the Sabre2? Close?? Open better? Less performance? More performance?, etc. Just looking for some input on this...I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Jordan

Go Fast, Dock Soft.

I know comparing this canopy to that happens a whole lot in the forums. The biggest debate I've seen and heard is on the Sabre2 and Pilot. Okay, I've talked to enough people who jump pilots to draw the conclusion that's not the canopy I want.

I've demoed a Sabre2 170, and loved it...I own a original Sabre 190. Okay, after making over 150 jumps on it...I'm ready for a new canopy...I love the damn thing...but it opens quite "brisk" every once in a while. So I am looking into buying new gear very soon.

The Sabre2 I jumped opened very soft....but very much off heading....I didn't pack it...I hear packing is the problem all the time...I believe it...but it can't be all packing I wouldn't think. That'd be what drew me to a Pilot...but I'd rather go with something slightly more aggressive. Okay, lots of rambling to get to the question.....what about the Safire2? How does this canopy relate to the Sabre2? Close?? Open better? Less performance? More performance?, etc. Just looking for some input on this...I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.

I like the way the Safire2 opens and flies, but preferred the Sabre2 overall. The Safire2 seemed slightly more aggressive, but I preferred the landings of the Sabre2.

I'd recommend trying out a Firebolt. I put a few jumps on one 2 weeks ago and preferred it over both of them.

If you're going to be down in Dallas in 3 or 4 weeks you can put a few jumps on the Firebolt 200 I just ordered, or give Nancy @ jumpshack a call and she can set you up w/ a demo.

:)

Thanks for the offer Justin. However, it'll be around 9 more months before I get back to Dallas! >:(:(.....I won't have to wait quite that long to jump. I'll make a few jumps in Jan....then I'll be in a mad rush to SDD sometime in Sept '06.

I see that you have a Wings. This is one of the rigs I'd like to buy too. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a wings or javelin. How do you like your container? Thanks.

Jordan

Go Fast, Dock Soft.

I see that you have a Wings. This is one of the rigs I'd like to buy too. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a wings or javelin. How do you like your container? Thanks.

I love it. It fits great, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and the wait time is usually always pretty short to get one. Their customer service is awesome too.

My only complaint is that compared to other rigs it's a little more difficult to get the reserve to look nice, but now they have better instructions on their site which helps.

If you do decide on a Wings, I've got a 75$ off cert I haven't used I'll send to ya.

The Sabre2 I jumped opened very soft....but very much off heading....I didn't pack it...I hear packing is the problem all the time...I believe it...but it can't be all packing I wouldn't think.

I was talking to a guy at the Espace Boogie, we asked him about how to pack the Sabre 2 to get on heading openings and get rid of end cell closure... he said it couldn't be done. That's just how the canopy is. His name was John. John LeBlanc... :P

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

John who? What the heck does that guy know about parachutes anyway? hehehe. Actually it can be done. With more weight and/or changing the brake setting to be in more full flight during opening. Turning on opening is a different story. Not saying that it can be done for all Sabre 2's, I just know of 1 that the brake setting change worked with. John is pretty much right on the mark though. Is'nt the Sabre 2 pretty much designed to open with end cells closed a bit?

Sabre, Sabe 2, Safire, Safire 2 and Firebolt all compete for the same market, so it comes down to a personal choice of which model you prefer, can afford, can get next week, etc.

As for "more aggressive" .. a heavier wing-loading will make any of those canopies more aggressive.

Okay, I've talked to enough people who jump pilots to draw the conclusion that's not the canopy I want.

That'd be what drew me to a Pilot...but I'd rather go with something slightly more aggressive..

Hi I dont mean to detract from your question but what do you consider "more aggressive" ? A canopy that turns quicker or something that dives more?

I have a Safire2 169 and I love it - openings are pretty much guaranteed to be nice no matter how you pack it (I'm still trialling different ways of packing) and on my wingloading (1.1) it's an extremely forgiving canopy. Of course with the higher wingloading you will get more of a performance canopy (the guy I bought it off is a LOT bigger than me and he loved it too).
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?