SpeedRacer

New York city travel advice?

Drive like the natives do...you'll be alright. Don't let them think you are a timid visitor.

If there's one thing I remember about driving in Manhattan, is the locals don't even know what lane markers are!!! You know, those painted dashes... :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

locals don't even know what lane markers are

true dat. everyone expects everyone else to drive like a new yorker. the ones who stick out are the ones who try to drive all safe and defensive. no one else knows how to deal with those people.

another option that might be worthwhile - there are always apartments available for a few days or a week at a time. craigslist.org will have a bunch of listings. often you can find a decent apartment for a week, for less than 7 days' hotel.

Hmmm. Not sure what I should do. I was planning on staying in NYC for a week, so if I wait til the last minute there's a risk that I won't be able to find a place for the whole week.
:|

If you are staying for a full week you might look into some of the short term rental type places. Friends of mine just got a place in Astoria for 8 days for less than a hotel would have cost and had more room. I had a few people stay in a short term apartment deal down by the UN also. I'll send a couple emails and ask folks for some details where they stayed.
Killing threads since 2004.

Here's one of the sites a friend used:

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/new-york/new-york-city

Pretty costly compared to getting a single hotel room, but if you are going with enough people to need several rooms it becomes a better option pretty quickly.

My friends stayed in this house and said it was fantastic. Very comfy, great view and the train ride is only a few minutes into the center of town.

http://www.vrbo.com/164637
Killing threads since 2004.