stellettorider

Student Radio's

Note, this is not from a skydiving perspective, but a perspective of one of my company's crews...

We had/have Motorola radios at a outdoor retail mall for our 24/7 maintenance staff. The staff pressure wash, shovel snow, climb ladders, rake leaves, mop stair cases etc. The radios are used, dropped, abused, and loved. In the winter they go from negative temperatures outside to 75 degree heated areas many times per hour. In the summer they bake on the side of the staff as they walk around the concert events.

The Motorola are ROCK SOLID, the only malfunctions we have had were due to water from the pressure washing and the contacts for the batteries... Also, they don't like to charge while on, we killed a few batteries before we figured that out.

BUT, they are so pricey, I switched to Kenwood. 8 months in service for a few of the units, and they are so far holding up just as well as the Motorola, and at just a little more than half the cost, I was able to save a bit of money. If they last another 2 years, my ROI will be great as the Motorolas have a 4-5 year life, tops, in the environment we put them thru.

Motorola at our DZ for Students for 6+ years I think. Will find brand for you at the weekend.

Best thing you could ever do is put radios in for them. When your student is ready to be more self-sufficient......stop talking :P
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.