johnie

silibands

Silibands should have the same plus/minus arguments as tube stows. Try this thread:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1781301#1781301

It should not affect the opening shock. Even the old guy with the beard that invented some of our equipment advises their use for the locking stows.

I make my own tube stows really cheap, and make them the length that I need from the bulk silicone tubing you can find in the fishing/sporting goods section of any department store (really cheap per foot).

Use a pair of needlenose pliers to turn one end over about 5mm. Insert the closed pliers into the other end and open the pliers to expand the tubing. Now take a pair of hemostats (sp?) or similar instrument used for other purposes to grab the turned over end of the tubing and insert it into the opened end. Carefully slide the tubing off the pliers and you're done. No need to glue anything.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Interesting, could you perhaps post some photos of the steps, or drawings to better illustrate the process. If it's easier, I might have to stop buying tube stows.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

rubber bands break for a reason.......

And tube stows also break, last longer, and cause less line wear for a reason. I have jumped and experimented enough to decide my personal preference is tubes on all stows. :)
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

rubber bands break for a reason.......

They don't always break when you want them to:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1938376#1938376

And they are much more likely to break when you don't want them to. I will take a bag lock over an explosive opening caused by broken locking stows anyday.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I make my own tube stows really cheap, and make them the length that I need from the bulk silicone tubing you can find in the fishing/sporting goods section of any department store (really cheap per foot).

Use a pair of needlenose pliers to turn one end over about 5mm. Insert the closed pliers into the other end and open the pliers to expand the tubing. Now take a pair of hemostats (sp?) or similar instrument used for other purposes to grab the turned over end of the tubing and insert it into the opened end. Carefully slide the tubing off the pliers and you're done. No need to glue anything.

Is there a particular diameter of silicone tubing you use? I'm thinking about giving this a try.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Without unpacking my rig, I don't have any to measure, but the diameter is just like the tube stows. I've only seen a couple different sizes (the other was obviously larger than tube stows), so you won't have a problem choosing.

I don't know about data on this one, but it stands to reason that elastics grab a larger surface area of the line and are a slightly tackier material, so they would cause more wear based on that...

I personally use tube stows for the grommets and small rubber bands for the rest...

-Hixxx

-Jon
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

You will start to see the end of rubber stows of any kind soon.

Right now i'm jumping a deployment bag that was modified to the new Infinity specs (not sure whether they're released yet). It has a free-stow pocket sewn to the side that sits on the bottom of the pack tray (similar to a BASE rig tail pocket). Two locking stows are all that are needed, and the rest of the lines are just stuffed back and forth in the bag without "biting" the stows with a rubber band or similar device.

This, coupled with a triangular piece of fabric that attaches to the bridle and along the edge of the bag to pull the bag evenly, leads (i believe) in slightly improved deployments. Line stretch is a bit quicker, but one can feel the parachute coming out straight. Think about it: however fast, the still-bagged canopy is being "yanked" side to side as the lines stretch.

i have seen a Javelin prototype of such a bag that uses tuck tabs and NO locking stows at all. Perhaps other manufacturers are building these things... i know that i wouldn't switch back.

--
important safety briefing... don't f*ckin' die!

The only one of those I've seen was one that had been recovered from a field after it's 2nd baglock and cutaway. B|

I'll stick with rubber bands for now.;)

Good point. i haven't heard about the results with the tuck tab bag, so that's good to know. The system i'm using still uses locking stows (i use tube stoes). About four or five people at my drop zone switched halfway through the summer to this system with no problems reported so far.

--
important safety briefing... don't f*ckin' die!