atsaubrey

Military Reserves.

Can any rigger pack a military reserve into a sport rig or do they have to a have a military rating? Is it legal to use a military reserve in a sport rig if it does not have a TSO, but obviously has the Mil. designation? I am refering to the Para-Flight XX (MC-4/5 canopies)
"GOT LEAD?"

Can any rigger pack a military reserve into a sport rig

yes

do they have to a have a military rating?

no

Is it legal to use a military reserve in a sport rig

Since Military reserves (squares) are the exact same parachute used for the main, it shouldn't be an issue.

One of the riggers on here can tell you where to reference that info, I am positive...Hook, where ya at?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

§ 105.3____ Definitions.
For the purposes of this part—
Approved parachute means a parachute manufactured under a type certificate or a Technical Standard Order (C–23 series), or a personnel-carrying U.S. military parachute (other than a high altitude, high speed, or ejection type) identified by a Navy Air Facility, an Army Air Field, and Air Force-Navy drawing number, an Army Air Field order number, or any other military designation or specification number.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

A rigger must decide a military canopy is compatible with a rig that wasn't designed for it. I would probably not choose to pack this canopy in any other than the para flite rig it was designed for. Also I very much doubt that it will fit in any sport rig other than tandem containers. The largest non tandem reserve that I could find is a PD 281 sq. ft.

Also these main and reserve canopies are identical. I would not pack a canopy that was obviously used as a main in a reserve container. And unless I had documentation that any individual canopy had only been used as a reserve I probably wouldn't pack it as a reserve either.

ParaFlite does not support this stuff in the sport market.

It might be cheap, but it's cheap for a reason.

Looks like you weigh 280 lbs and your jumping tandem gear already. If this is yours you've got a better rig already. If your looking for a first rig I'd suggest sticking with sport equipment. You can probably get a rig built big enough for appropriate sport canopies without the tandem features (attachments, drogue stuff, etc.)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

A rigger must decide a military canopy is compatible with a rig that wasn't designed for it.

The MC4/5 series canopies are designed like modern canopies on the market. There is nothing significantly different about them, other than their sq footage, that would preclude them from being used in a sport container.

I would probably not choose to pack this canopy in any other than the para flite rig it was designed for. Also I very much doubt that it will fit in any sport rig other than tandem containers.

These canopies are made from all F-111 type material and pack down fairly small considering thier sq footage. When I pack my MC-4 main canopy and D bag it, it is not much bigger than what one sees being put into student containers. In fact, my 350 sq ft tandem canopy is significantly bigger than the MC4 when D bagged. Likewise, the reserve can be packed fairly small. The only thing I could forsee being tricky is if all the container flaps would close over the pilot chute if using the stock pilot chute assembly.If the container freebag and pilot chute were to be used I would ensure that the spring was as strong as the stock spring.

unless I had documentation that any individual canopy had only been used as a reserve I probably wouldn't pack it as a reserve either.

Very good point since the normal rotation for canopies when the main wears out is for the reserve to become the main and a new canopy is placed in the reserve container.

It might be cheap, but it's cheap for a reason.

That shouldn't be used as a negative point against this gear. There are a lot of these systems in circulation that are very well maintained and still airworthy. They tend to be cheap in price due to their size and weight compared to a sport rig. However, for bigger jumpers they offer the same advantage as used sport gear does for new jumpers. Not all of the gear that comes out of DRMO is airworthy so it is encumbant on the individual to have a rigger inspect either the canopies or the entire system for airworthyness before jumping it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It looks like there are alot of mixed points on the subject which i expected. Simply put, i have my "old" container (new total system here in a few weeks) that has a reserve approaching its 20yr and a Cyress out of date next month. i want to keep it in the air as a second and to rent out for big students and the XX canopies are not only cheap but able to handle 300lbs jumpers. I could replace the current reserve with another mighty Mak 335 but don't care to toss down $1400 to do so. Now if i could find a PD 305 or Precision 305 I might be willing to put the new Mighty Mak i just ordered in my old system and put in the 305 in the new, but shelling our $2400 for a new one would hurt. i hate to see my old system never used again because the container has life left and is set up for AFF and the works, plus i like to see guys over 225lbs able to go thru the training. Who knows maybe in the long run the rig and new canopies would pay for themselves and we'd have bigger guys in the sport, this is what im pondering.
"GOT LEAD?"