gonzalesna

Greetings from Japan

Well, I've been here for a week and I still don't have a liberty card, so I'm still stuck on base. (A liberty card is a written statement that allows me to go off base. It's required in all overseas duty stations.) The weather seems to be consistently mostly cloudy out here, and I'm told that's the typical weather out here. Haven't had an opportunity to jump since I left California and it's starting to suck.

BUUUUUT... I've met some really cool people, learned some important phrases and words and I went to the pistol range for the first time on Wednesday where I shot expert.B| I've learned the basics of my additional duties here and on this coming wednesday, we're going out to the range to do some "blow some shit up" training.B|B|B|
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Hi Gonzo, It's good to see you made it there ok. but....... How long till you get that liberty card? I can't imagine you being stuck on the base for too long. Uh, when you do get the card, you aren't going to any costume parties are you? I don't know how your costume ideas would go over in Japan. lol
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

If you make it to Izushi-cho in Hyogo prefecture, say hello to my daughter. There's a dz in Toyooka, not far from where she lives. I tried to get a jump in there this summer, but you need to apply for permission and then pay lots of $. I started the process 4 days before we left and that wasn't enough time. Seemed to be a nice place, though, and the jumpers were jumpers, regardless of my language barrier.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

Hi Gonzo, It's good to see you made it there ok. but....... How long till you get that liberty card? I can't imagine you being stuck on the base for too long. Uh, when you do get the card, you aren't going to any costume parties are you? I don't know how your costume ideas would go over in Japan. lol

:P
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

If you make it to Izushi-cho in Hyogo prefecture, say hello to my daughter. There's a dz in Toyooka, not far from where she lives. I tried to get a jump in there this summer, but you need to apply for permission and then pay lots of $. I started the process 4 days before we left and that wasn't enough time. Seemed to be a nice place, though, and the jumpers were jumpers, regardless of my language barrier.

Vint

I'll definately do that if I get a chance.B|

Japanese curry sure is different from Indian Curry!

When able to get away from work, be sure to attend any local festivals....called Matsuri....its a chance to see the normally serious nihonjin having family fun. And there's lots of good snacks too!

If you do manage to visit Tokyo Skydiving Club, there are many there who speak English and have visited DZs in the states. Very different from your usual Japanese personality and great people!

mp

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Japanese curry sure is different from Indian Curry!

When able to get away from work, be sure to attend any local festivals....called Matsuri....its a chance to see the normally serious nihonjin having family fun. And there's lots of good snacks too!

If you do manage to visit Tokyo Skydiving Club, there are many there who speak English and have visited DZs in the states. Very different from your usual Japanese personality and great people!

mp

Once I get my liberty card I plan on going there. I've already got a guy in my shop who wants to go skydiving. It works out great because he's got a car out here so we can take that to the DZ instead of trying to figure out the public transportation routes.

Glad you're having a good time. Are you down on Okinawa or up north?

I'm just North-northwest of Gotemba City on the east side of Mt. fuji. I'm up north from Okie.

It rained a couple days ago, and about 1/3 of the mountain has snow on it.