cheebz

Where to start????

Getting close to having to buy my first rig but where do you start??
What brand or mfr?
New or 2nd hand?
Harness fitting problems if buying 2nd hand?
Who to trust being a newbie?
The list is endless.....
I'm 6' 1" and 12-1/2st and my head is starting to hurt thinking about it:S;)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you could start by reading pretty much everything linked from this page. most, if not all, of the articles were written by members here, so if you need clarification, they're only a click away!
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

First and foremost, educate yourself with the facts about any gear you want; then seek out opinions.

If you have the money, get new, custom gear. If not, seek a reputable used gear dealer if you're not buying in person. Be sure to try it before you buy it...if they don't let you, then of course you don't want to buy from them (for used gear).

My first rig was way too small for me, but it was a great deal so I bought it...big mistake; the MLW was about 4 inches shorter than my new custom rig. Much better.

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

Or you can meet in the middle. Buy a new custom container and then get used main, reserve and AAD. You will probably want to downsize after your first season.

If you go this way, make sure to get a container that your first main will be snug/medium fit. So when you do downsize, it will still fit in your container.

Also, once you figure what type of container/main/reserve, use the forum to do searches. Pretty much everything you could think of is archived in these forums.

Welcome to the sport!

Fitz
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

First, and this is where many, if not most, skydivers go wrong, decide on an appropriate reserve. Choose your container size based on this, instead of choosing your reserve based on your container size.

Reputable container manufacturers include (but are not limited to) Relative Workshop (Vector3), Sun Path (Javelin Odyssey), Sunrise Rigging (Wings), Velocity Sports Equipment (Infinity), and Jump Shack (Racer).

Generally used equipment is okay, especially for a first rig, which tends to be sold relatively quickly, as you progress and downsize. (Most jumpers downsize too early; don't do this :)
Used canopies are okay, if they are not overused. Unfortunately, it is not as easy as just knowing the jump numbers. Canopies wear differently depending on where they are jumped and packed. As with all used gear, you should have it inspected by a rigger before purchase.

On the bright side, if you do buy new, canopies sized for newbies tend to retain resale value much better than the latest sub 100ft^2 nylon rocket. When/if you do downsize, you will likely be able to get more of your money back out. By the same token, expect to pay premium prices for appropriately sized used equipment, assuming it is a current model by a major manufacturer.

Common canopy manufacturers include Performance Designs, Icarus Canopies and Aerodyne canopies. There are others, but these seem to be the most popular among my customers.

Regarding sizes, I highly recommend talking extensively with your instructors about what is appropriate for you. After you have a list of suitable equipment, ask several riggers for their opinions of that equipment. Experienced jumpers can also be a good source of information if they have personal experience with that particular gear.

Demo gear before purchase whenever possible.

BTW, how much does a "stone" weigh, in Kg?

For Great Deals on Gear