Jumpervint

Football Game Landing Incident

The WSU Cougars went to Reno to play a game yesterday evening. One of the Green Berets jumping in with the game ball had a hard landing. Here's one of the mentions by the local (Spokane) newspaper:

"Unfestive as the pre-game atmosphere was already, it grew horrifically grim when Green Beret skydiver Dave Larson crashed to earth in the perilous wind, breaking a hip and fracturing his left arm as he left an ugly skid mark in the turf.

Ready for some football? Eh."

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

I saw the highlight on espn but couldn't get to the TV fast enough to hear the details. It didn't look like he hit hard enough to break bones.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

Here's a few more sources. Does this belong in Incidents at this point?

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nevada/2005/sep/09/090910094.html

Army parachutist injured at Nevada football game

ASSOCIATED PRESS

RENO, Nev. (AP) - A U.S. Army parachutist who recently returned from Iraq was injured in a hard landing in the middle of the field at Mackay Stadium Friday night before the Washington State-Nevada football game.

Retired Chief Warrant Officer Dave Larson of Hurst, Texas, broke his hip and fractured his arm. He was the second of three parachutists who jumped from a helicopter in gusty winds during a pregame ceremony honoring the military.

Larson, a Green Beret, was coming in fast, then pulled up slowly near the top of the stands before the wind appeared to drop out of the parachute and he fell about 60 feet and landed on his side. Paramedics attended to him on the field for about 10 minutes before he was transported off the field on a truck and taken to Washoe Medical Center in Reno.

Larson had made more than 2,000 jumps in his career. His condition was not immediately known, but he was expected to be hospitalized for two days, said Jamie Klund, Nevada sports information director.

"It is somewhat serious, obviously," Klund said.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/cougars/2002484575_cougnotes10.html

Dangerous halftime

Dangerous, swirling winds moved over the city and the stadium near game time, and one of three members of the Army Green Beret Parachute Team suffered a broken hip and compound fracture of his left arm when he landed hard at midfield and was dragged 15 yards by his parachute. Dave Larson, a recently retired chief warrant officer from Hurst, Texas, was taken from the field on a stretcher after trainers from both teams and Army personnel administered first aid. Hurst, who has made more than 2,000 jumps and recently returned from Iraq, waved to the crowd. He is expected to be hospitalized for two days.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cougars/240210_coug10.html

TOUGH DROP: Three Green Beret parachutists dropped onto the Mackay Stadium field about 15 minutes before kickoff. The first and third landed without incident in the windy conditions, but the second, Ret. Chief Warrant Officer Dave Larson, slammed onto the turf around the 44-yard line and slid about 15 yards from one hashmark to the other on his side after the impact.

The parachutist from Hurst, Texas, was immediately attended to by medical staff and more than 10 people -- including training staffs from both teams -- eventually came to his aide. Larson, who recently returned from Iraq, was immobilized and taken off the field on a cart with a broken hip. He's expected to spend the next two days in the hospital.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Ok...........it didn't look to me like the kind of landing that would break bones. But I guess I was wrong on that. I hope he is Ok.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

Dave is a good friend and old co-worker of mine. We served in two special forces groups together (7th then 3rd) and both of us jumped on the GBPT for years. That team is now primarilly comprised of retired guys since the formation of the USASOC (all active duty) team, but most are very, very experienced and all of them have PRO tickets.

I can't say what his currency is these days, but most all of the civilian jumps he has made in the past decade have been demos or practice for demos. He is also a Military Freefall Jumpmaster and if I am not mistaken went through the advanced course and has an MFFI number as well.

Chuck Blue

I know this is an old thread, but i just found it and since I was standing on the side lines 40 feet from where he landed, I thought I would relay my veiwpont. First thing you should do is talk you friend into telling his side of this. It would be great to pass on his view point to anyone involved in a stadium demo. The wind was blowin 25+ right over the press box, just before the jumpers exited the orange target marker actually blew into the air and across the field. as the jumpers exited I said out loud "No fucking way" I am sure that there was not a jumper on the ground calling the shots because I couldnt imagine a jumper on the ground not calling this off. as the first jumper did an amaizing job landing. the second jumper did a great job crabing in riding the brakes at about 45 deg to the wind(going backwards BTW) and at about 60 ft gave a very small left toggle input to square up to the wind as the canopy(large 7 cell) started to turn the wind colapsed the left side and pushed the jumper very hard into the ground. I didnt see #3 land. I know that when you are on a demo you feel a lot of pressure to not disapoint, but somebody should have pulled the plug on this one. these guys did an amaizing job, and were obv highly skilled. I hope he is doing fine. it really sucked to watch it.