tdog

A completely bias poll on Motorcycles

Learn something new everyday. I did not know that. But when was the last time you seen a 1910 Honda or Yamaha come down the road?;) I actually owned 5 Hondas and one Suzuki before I bought my first Harley, and there is still a Honda in my garage to this day.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Ridden both, A LOT of R1 time!!

As a track day instructor and 20+ year racer (TZ 250) I'm a bit of a purest and the R1 is hands down the better all around bike for me. Honda put the 1000RR on a diet and its still the heaviest bike in the class and for day to day riding the least comfortable. On track the a the R1 steers lightly and changes direction and stops far better than the RR. Power delivery is a bit more abrupt on the Yamaha but wholly manageable as long as your not a gorilla. There are a ton of good after market parts for the R1, BUT it doesn't need anything.

BUT!!!!!!!!! if you haven't forced yourself into thinking that you have to have an open class machine, YOU HAVE TO TAKE AN R6 FOR A RIDE!!!!!!!!! I own and use an 06 R6 for instruction and fun, it is THE BEST ALL AROUND BIKE I'VE EVER OWNED!!!!! and you can regularly put big bike guys to shame everywhere except a long straight. That bike is phenomenal AND significantly cheaper to insure and maintain (eats a lot fewer tires, and brake pads last longer too)out of the box the only thing I've done is tune suspension and tires and brake pads and it is the closest to my TZ of anything I've ever ridden, crisp and sharp just a blast to ride and it won't tire you out as fast as the open class bikes.
John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com

Where's the Ducati option ? :(

Italian = Sexy=broke down all the time and expensive parts.

I own italian and know MANY MANY Italian bike riders, very very few brake down. The ones that do are poorly or not maintained.
My own Italian bikes have never broken down EVER..
On one of my Guzzi's one of the spark plug caps got broke, I merely turned my V Twin 1000cc bike into a Single cylinder 500, and rode it home 400kms without a problem.

Italian bike dont break down, they are occasionally ruined by negligence.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Where's the Ducati option ? :(

Italian = Sexy=broke down all the time and expensive parts.

Not really. I've already put over 10K on my 1098 and haven't had a single problem with it. I actually had more issues with my Honda 1000RR and it was nowhere near as fast or as much fun to ride.

As for the CBR vs. R1 debate - the R1 is a new design while the CBR is on it's second year of production. The 08 CBR had some issues with the transmission as well as some pretty serious oil burning problems.

Personally, I stay away from first year production models for just that reason. They usually work out the main problems by the second year. And these days, most bikes don't see a third year of production.

The R1 does sound pretty sweet with it's new firing order though. It sounds more like a V4 than an I4.

Pretty sure you won't be disappointed with either one.

Action©Sports