Yoshi

funny what this site will do to ya

So....I havent really thought about jumping again in a very long time... but after a couple weeks of postwhoring again I am getting a little itch for free fall.

I havent made a jump in about 2 years or more...sold all my gear long ago... and dont really talk to many of my old skydiving friends accept for a select few.

anyways. I am jsut bored at work and thought I would post this...not really sure why.

Last night I sat awake in bed thinking about freeflying...and a bunch of the CRAZY shit I used to do. If you knew me, you know I was one to kinda push the envelope from time to time-flying two stacks with my crossfire2 111 at 1.85 in half a line twist... memories

so what do ya think? should I head out to my old DZ sometime this spring? I plan to at least go visit and see some old friends, but the more I think about it I kind of want to do a jump or two...

It will be a world of change though. no swooping in my near future which was a HUGE part of my enjoyment...and I just dont think I will ever be back in it enough to swoop like I used to.

well...I guess if you have read this far you are as bored as me..so feel free to comment.

It will be a world of change though. no swooping in my near future which was a HUGE part of my enjoyment...and I just dont think I will ever be back in it enough to swoop like I used to.

Get into wingsuiting and start swooping clouds!
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I had a couple chows that shook me up pretty good...

my brother broke his back when his reserve collapsed at 15'

same brother was in a very bad accident a couple years later that was EXTREMELY severe and that was the last day I did a work jump... he is ok now... but he doesnt jump anymore either.

I guess a little guilt... I ALWAYS followed him around... hes my big bro, ya know? I follwed everything he did...he got a guitar so I did..he started rock climbing so I did... Skydiving was one of the few things that I did first and then he started skydiving and I guess I kinda feel guilty about his accidents.

oh.. well thats not the question... I know its fun... I know Ill enjoy it. I just dont know if I will be able to love the sport the way I used to enough to stay current enough to do the things I loved to do in the sport.

so much has changed...not only location and time, but I have a daughter and family to support now... something I never had to think about before (even though I was married, my ex could have supported herself just fine without me).

I havent really put my finger on any one exact reason why I havent gone back...but I miss the way it made me feel and the friends I made along the way. getting back on this site has reminded me of some of those friends...

I think I know where you are coming from. My story is somewhat different, but not so much. I started jumping back in the late 90's. I only put in about 200 jumps, but I still loved it. A couple of things conspired though, and I ended up leaving the sport. I had a daughter and that is surely a life changing event that I can relate with you on. There was also about 3 fatalities over a couple year period at my home drop zone, and I think all of those things combined to make me decide to stop.

But now, it has been several years away from the sport. My daughter is a teenager now, and she is going off on her own more and more. I feel like I am getting a second chance to get back to my own life again. There was this empty space in my mind reserved for skydiving, and this year I decided I am returning to the sport.

I think I had the same sort of feelings you are describing, but I tend to be impulsive, so I decided I am just going to go for it.

Go to a DZ where nobody knows you. Ask some questions, talk to some people. Be sure it is skydiving you are missing and not just the social aspect of it.
You do have a lot more at risk now. But you shouldn't stop doing what you love to do. Maybe you won't be as "crazy" as you before but you can still love it.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

...and I just don't think I will ever be back in it enough to swoop like I used to.

Ya mean like winning 1st place swoop accuracy at the Lew Sanborn meet a couple years ago?? :ph34r:

for sure... I have a gold metal from the lew sanborn (which blew me away that I had enough luck that day to beat EZ and Matt....it was funny that gold, silver and bronze were in opposite order of jump numbers...

I also have a silver and bronze from the CPC framed with the certificates that I look at almost every day in my office and wonder what could have been if I kept up with it..

Yoshi,I do have a good idea where your at.In fact, I think I remember you from back in the late 90's or early 2001-03. I had to stop because of an accident in 2003,then other complications til now.Did ya jump in Indiania?I learned and did alot of jumps at Skydive Greensburg,In.
My head is still full of jumping glory memories,and I'm still tryin' to get back up.I will some day,and I believe if the thoughts are still as strong for you as for me you should give it one more go.Hit me back or PM me if you want?Aleast where was your home DZ and it that you I described?
Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

pm sent...

its unfortunate sometime what makes us give up such a large part of our lives... I guess its fortunate too in some cases.

when I reminiss I just cant beleive how much I was truely in LOVE with the sport and how I let it go so quickly...I mean..dont get me wrong..after some of the things I saw and experienced it wasnt a hard decision at the time...but it drastically changed my life in so many ways by making the decision to leave the sport... some for the good some not...

pm got and relpied.It was my life for the longest time.It was my love,my addiction,it played a part in my divorce also I believe.
But the friends I made,the memories and feelings it gave me parrel no other.It really taught me more about life and death!! I was 36 when I started,so I was no kid.
I want and will get back up there,but never as I was back then,ya know?
Older,wiser,wimpy now maybe.Hard to describe.
Man,did you make me start thinking with this post.
Ya,it is funny what this site will do yo ya
Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

a packer huh?? I could make a little cash like that... considering my avg pack was about 5 min and I did a 4 min blindfolded packjob once... of course I ALWAYS psycho packed my rig and never cared too much about how it went in the bag... that crossfire2 would open beautiful 99% of the time no matter how you crammed it in the bag...

I've never had anything worse than a rubber hose, and that was from Sunshine, after hours of course.:P
Seriously, where I work all the packers are trusted and respected.

“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

I highly doubt Ill become a packer... I mean I may pack a few rigs here and there, but I dont really care for it myself...I wouldnt want to pack all day just to be at the dz..I would rather jsut hang out and not make any cash..lol its not like I am going to quit my job and cut-away again...

but I get the idea.. perhaps the social aspects are more what I am missing and reminissing, but Im not sure... I think about the sky more and more...I guess thats also because I havent been flying helicopters for a while now either and I havent been getting any airtime.

A lot of what you wrote could also apply to myself. I hate to admit this but I stayed on the ground for the entire summer of 2008 and my jump numbers from the summer of 2007 were not something to boast about either.

Why did I not jump?

1) First off I am back in my native Canada (which is experiencing some down right arctic weather right now) and skydiving up here is just not the same as it was for me where I did the majority of my 1600 jumps in Colorado from 2002-2006.

2) I had an old cat that was starting to require more attention (she passed away this morning). In the good old days I could go away to the DZ for the weekend and leave lots of food and water for her. But as she aged, I could no longer go away for more than 24 hours. So as much as I loved her and as much as I will miss her, the burden of having to be close to home has been lifted ... for now.

3) I was unemployed during the summer of 2008 and I used the time to do some renovations on my house.

4) Last summer the price of fuel was crazy. Driving to the DZ (not knowing if I would even be able to jump) and having to deal with high jump tickets while being unemployed just was too much.

5) The Cypres and Cypres2 in both of my rigs need to be sent in (heck the old Cypres might even be close to the end of it's allowed lifetime) and the reserves in both rigs are out of date. There are riggers here in Canada, but there are not many.

So there you have it. Lot's of lame excuses why I have allowed myself to become uncurrent (actually I think caring for my old cat wasn't so lame, I am not the type who accepts neglecting animals).

My profile lists my current canopy as a JVX 87 (and the last time I jumped it in the summer of 2007 I was still ripping some monster safe swoops with it). But it is a good thing that I also own a Spectre 150 because I am not so sure I should be jumping the JVX 87 anytime soon. I knew I was never going to be one of the best (age was not on my side as I am now 45) and not being able to swoop all 12 months of the year hurts me. But I did have several full and fun seasons on the competitive swooping circuits and was lucky enough to be allowed to compete in numerous regional Colorado and Pacific Northwest swooping events, two CPC Championships and two PST events. Now that I am free to travel more, I will get my reserves repacked at some point and I will get back in the air (not sure how much swooping I should do, but at least I know how to properly train to be a swooper). I just hope the economy doesn't tank even worse than it has. If you believe the media, it is really bad out there. But I still see tons of people with money running around the world.

Anyway ... to the new skydivers who may read this. Skydiving is a great sport (definitely worth doing). But don't let it consume you to the point where the only thing that matters is your next jump. Been there done that ...

RIP Scratchy (my recently deceased cat)
I will be taking your ashes up for a skydive.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over