mstlaurent

ZP and F111 mix for beginner ?

Hello,
I would like to know which main canopy are made from ZP and F111 and would be good for a beginner. It would be my first parachute so I want something easy to pack... I heard that ZP are hard to pack so I though it would be better to learn packing on this type of parachute.
I know the Silhouette and the Turbo-z, are there any others?
Thanks!
Martin

My 1st canopy was a silhouette 210 (loading1.0). Fantastic canopy, no bad openings :)
Parachutes de France 'Electra' is also a hybrid F111/ZP. Haven't jumped one myself but know plenty of people who have them and love them...

Beaten-around ZP (300-400 jumps) is easier to pack than you might think. I vote go used, go zp, go for a canopy that's maybe just back from its first reline if you're that concerned about packing. Good on $ and easier to resell.

...Solo from Aerodyne is effectively a Pilot with bits of F-111.

Are you buying new or used?

If you are buying used, no need to limit your search. Make a wish list of canopies that would be suitable, then see what is available and fits your budget.

I'm definitely buying used. I want to keep as most money as possible for jumps. :)

The Silhouette is the best-kept secret in canopies today.

I'd have to agree. I bought it on my rigger's recommendation and am very satisfied with every aspect of it. It's probly not more popular due to the "F-111 is old school" opinion, but I didn't see any difference in performance from an all-ZP canopy with a similar planform. I'd say if you didn't tell someone, they would think they were flying a Sabre (minus the tendency to slam you on opening).

The Silhouette is the best-kept secret in canopies today.

I'd have to agree. I bought it on my rigger's recommendation and am very satisfied with every aspect of it. It's probably not more popular due to the "F-111 is old school" opinion, but I didn't see any difference in performance from an all-ZP canopy with a similar planform. I'd say if you didn't tell someone, they would think they were flying a Sabre (minus the tendency to slam you on opening).

I suggest a 2nd hand safire of the appropriate loading for you.

nice openings and long student type flares.

but i'm just a bias new zealander.;)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

What size are you looking for? I have a 170 with about 500 jumps on it I'll part with at a very reasonable cost. What do you weigh?

I have an exit weight of 175 lbs.

PD suggest a Silhouette 230 or a Sabre 2 190 for a novice of 175 lbs.

I'm not sure that would be good for me. :(

I've been jumping a Silhouette and really like the packing and openings.
I've been told that it pretty much has the same flight characteristics of the Sabre2, but its optimal at 1:1 WL. if you go beyond that performance will suffer.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

I've been jumping a Silhouette and really like the packing and openings.
I've been told that it pretty much has the same flight characteristics of the Sabre2, but its optimal at 1:1 WL. if you go beyond that performance will suffer.

I've put about 30 jumps on my Silhouette 230 and I jumped a Sabre2 230 5 times this weekend, both loaded around 1.1

My observations:

Openings: I packed both with the nose hanging. The Silhouette openings were great, very soft every time. Only had a few off heading openings, which I would nearly guarantee was either my sloppy packing or poor body position. The sabre2 openings were somewhat brisk, but not hard by any means. Most jumps I had closed end cells, but they were easily fixed by pulling the rear risers down for a few seconds. Had one off heading opening on the Sabre2.

Flight: Both canopies have a pretty flat glide, I think the Silhouette was slightly better in full flight than the Sabre2, but it was still easy to hang in brakes and make it back from a long spot on both. The Sil had lighter toggle pressure, and turned a little quicker than the Sabre, but the Sabre would lose more altitude in a turn, and took a little bit longer to recover. Riser turns were much easier on the Sabre2.

Landings: The Sabre2 seemed easier to land, especially with no wind.

Packing: Packing the Silhouette was much easier than the Sabre2, but the Sabre2 was still pretty slippery.

I like them both.:)

I jump a Firebolt 164 (from Jumpshack) with zp top skina nd F 111 bottom skin and it quite simply the best canopy I've ever flown. Good openings, great performance (true elliptical) and really easy to pack.
It renewed my love of parachute flight again! ;)
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I too have the Firebolt from Jumpshack. I started jumping it around jump 30 and now have about a 100 jumps on it. I love it. I have a 218 and load it around 1.1:1 now. I've gained a few pounds. If you'd like to try one out, call and have them send you a demo.

I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid!

I too have the Firebolt from Jumpshack. I started jumping it around jump 30 and now have about a 100 jumps on it. I love it. I have a 218 and load it around 1.1:1 now. I've gained a few pounds. If you'd like to try one out, call and have them send you a demo.

to me really makes sense for a tandem canopy - to make easier to pack.

why do we not see more sport canopies with zero P top and F111 bottom and ribs??? what are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

rm