Mostly_Harmless

Cleaning your container, worth it?

This winter during some down time I am having Relative Workshop install some new ring covers to personalize my used container. During that time would it be worth it to have them clean the container? It is a 1997 Vector 3 in black. Opinions/comments?

This winter during some down time I am having Relative Workshop install some new ring covers to personalize my used container. During that time would it be worth it to have them clean the container? It is a 1997 Vector 3 in black. Opinions/comments?

I get mine cleaned after any visit to Perris or Eloy. Don't like the thought of that embedded desert dust grinding away at the fabric and harness.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well this thing probably hasn't been cleaned since 1997. In regard to phoenix, is it a bad thing to get it cleaned?

If done correctly, it's not bad. Just have your rigger give it a bath at your next repack. ;)

Well I was going to have Relative Workshop do it since they will have it for a while. I was guessing having the manufacture do it is the best thing.

I get mine cleaned after any visit to Perris or Eloy. Don't like the thought of that embedded desert dust grinding away at the fabric and harness.

Yup, and I've just come back from Perris, the reserve is just about out of date. I guess it's time to contact Hook and set up a dinner date.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Can't you just let it soak in the washer with mild soap or something?

Sure, if it's a front-loading washer. Use the delicate cycle, warm water setting, and use Woolite.

If you put a rig in a top-loading washing machine, you're going to need a new washing machine.;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

If you put a rig in a top-loading washing machine, you're going to need a new washing machine

No ya won't ;)

I wouldn't put a customers rig in a top loader though.

I've washed quite a few in a front loader. It sure beats using a tub.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

If you put a rig in a top-loading washing machine, you're going to need a new washing machine

No ya won't ;)

I wouldn't put a customers rig in a top loader though.

I've washed quite a few in a front loader. It sure beats using a tub.

I place the rig in an all cotton B-4 bag and use a large front loader at the local laundromat. I use regular liquid Tide. Then I hang them out of the sun for about 48 hours. Never had a problem with one.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Then I hang them out of the sun for about 48 hours. Never had a problem with one.

In the winter, I've had great results by hanging the rig to dry over a heater vent in the floor. I just suspend it about five foot off the floor and it gets bone dry overnight.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Then I hang them out of the sun for about 48 hours. Never had a problem with one.

In the winter, I've had great results by hanging the rig to dry over a heater vent in the floor. I just suspend it about five foot off the floor and it gets bone dry overnight.

-Blind

Exposing it to that level of heat for that long would bother me. :P I am not sure what effect it would have on the nylon.

Sparky

If there's access to the space between the back pad and reserve tray, a nice little trick you may know already. Stuff a few crumpled up sheets of news paper in there.

Wind assists the drying process as well. To simulate wind... point a fan toward the hanging rig and turn it on.

Hope that helps. Especially the wind simulator part.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

If there's access to the space between the back pad and reserve tray, a nice little trick you may know already. Stuff a few crumpled up sheets of news paper in there.

Wind assists the drying process as well. To simulate wind... point a fan toward the hanging rig and turn it on.

Hope that helps. Especially the wind simulator part.

I haven't heard of this, will have to give it a try.

Thanks,

Sparky

-Blind

Exposing it to that level of heat for that long would bother me. :P I am not sure what effect it would have on the nylon.

Sparky

that high off the floor, the heat's less than you you'd get at Perris or Eloy on a warm day. The drying effect is more from the dry air moving over it for several hours.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Exposing it to that level of heat for that long would bother me.

Man, you must have one hell of a furnace! I can sit on my vents and it's not even umcomfortably warm. That said, if you have air conditioning, it will dry faster than from heat, because your AC puts out very dry air.