BlindBrick

What's invovled with getting FAA approval to test an experimental rig?

I'm curious and so far have not been able to find anythign in the FAR's. If someone could direct me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

-Blind

In order to test a new design (one that has not been built under an existing currently aproved TSO) one must wear a certified (aproved) harness and reserve assembly (can be any certifed design) in conjunction with(underneath or outside)the article being tested.

That's the legal requirment. Having done many many test jumps under a variety of designs and configurations here is a little advice to keep yourself alive. If you ever want to strap on somthing that has never been tested before DON'T.
Go and work for a factory and learn how to do it properly. Learn the insides and outsides of the craft before you attempt it on your own, also more experience would be a plus. Just my .02 worth.

Mick.

If you ever want to strap on somthing that has never been tested before DON'T.

Don't worry, I'm not about to sew up something homebrewed and jump it. Kind of in the idle flight of fantasy stage about a speed skydiving rig with a staged main deployment system that uses a drouge at the beginning of the process. I've talked to several manufactuers and they were pretty sure that stripping all the unneccessary stuff from a standard tandem design would invalidate the TSO. Thus, the idle wondering on what is involved with jumping experimental class rigs.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

In order to test a new design (one that has not been built under an existing currently aproved TSO) one must wear a certified (aproved) harness and reserve assembly (can be any certifed design) in conjunction with(underneath or outside)the article being tested.

Before you even get to this point, do several drop tests of the item to get a good idea what to expect if and when you do a live test jump with it.

As Mick said, test jumping is not something to do on a whim or do without a good support team.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Great, now you tell me this. That is information that would have been usefull for the last five years

If your support team was lacking, you should fire them and hire me.:) 20+ years experience and almost no mistakes.:S

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals