lippy

freeware for iPod recovery?

Does anybody know a free, clean software I can use to bring my tunes from my iPod back to my PC? My external hard drive with my music library crashed a while ago and I lost all my MP3's. They're on my iPod and I know there's software out there I can use to bring 'em back, but I'm a cheap bastard!
I got nuthin

Yes you are a cheap bastard, especially since most of the software out there won't run you more than $20. :D

I had the same problem a few weeks ago (well not exactly the same, i was a dumbass and formatted my music drive accidentally) and i used software called anapod explorer - don't use this, i spent $30 on their software, followed their instructions to the T and lost everything.

I did however read a Wired Magazine review to get the info, here you go:

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/11/72132

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Wasn't going to mention Anapod because he wanted something for free, but I've used it with much success in the past. Not for the same purpose, but as a replacement for iTunes.

Recently I downloaded the latest version of it and found it much more difficult to use. Not sure what I was doing wrong, but my ability to drag and drop folders to create playlists had vanished.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

I use Music Rescue, which has worked great over the years. The free version has a limitation, meaning you have to click a little box saying, "Buy full version today," or something along those lines every 50 songs. You can still put all your songs on a PC though.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

I ended up shelling out $20 for iPodrip. The review from Wired listed it as free for the first 10 uses, but after 100 songs it prompted me to buy a license. It worked well, but my songs still appear in their 'iPod fucked-up code names' when I look at them in Windows Explorer. Windows Media Player and iTunes recognize the song names, so it's all good as long as their part of a library.

My external is full of tunage again!:)

I got nuthin

There's a hidden folder on your ipod that holds all the music.

Copy it to your desktop, unhide it, and import the folder into itunes

sure, it will probably have some fucked up file name, but it should show the IDv3 tags when you load it in itunes

Imma cheap bastard
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message