madhatter

Computer help: Lotus Notes sucks - how do I download my e-mails to harddrive?

As the subject line states - I'm working for a company that insists on using Lotus Notes.

The problem is that everyone has a mailbox limit of 128mb. The result is that I have to delete client correspondence every so foten or I can't receive new mails. That's really shite if you need to refer to earlier communications that happened to seem "unimportant" when you needed to clear your inbox.

Does anyone have advice as to downloading Lotus Notes / Domino mail server mails to your harddrive & not leaving them on the server?

Thanks in advance!

J :)
A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

If you have a proper desktop, you should be able to just make a new copy of your mailbox as a private mail database periodically. That's what I used to do when we started cleaning out mailboxes and still used Notes.

You can also export them to a file. Use File => Export and select your filename. Remember that Notes puts stuff into its own little folder, rather than somewhere you're likely to remember like "My Documents." So tell it exactly where you want your notes.

(yeah, archive is the "right" way to do it all right)

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks! i'll check that out. Sounds pretty much like exporting from Outlook - it's always easier when you specify the destination.

EeneR - Thanks for the link. I'm clueless when it comes to the Lotus environment and haven't gone to the trouble of studying up on it. This'll really help!
A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

That'd be a way of keeping record, but the "legality" of the document is compromised by turning it into an editable file...

very good point ;)
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

Actions-->Tools-->Archive-->Settings

You then set the folder to keep the archives.
You can set up a regular schedule to archive as they get a month or so old.
You can also highlight selected emails for archiving.

You can still read those emails by looking at the Tools--archive--folder name in the left side notes directories

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Setting up an archive is probably the best route.

This will create a new database on your local machine.

If you choose to create a new local replica of your email database you will need to disable replication of deletions.

I am a Lotus Notes Admin. I can talk you through setting up either option. If you need help just send me a PM.