skydiverek

Have there been TRUE Skyhook saves?

How often will I get to add a little to Bill Booth's knowledge ... I'll take it where I can. ;)

Chicago Manual of Style 15th edition:

15.3 In precise usage, the word acronym refers only to terms based on the initial letters of their various elements and read as single words (NATO, AIDS); initialism refers to terms read as a series of letters (BBC, ATM); and contraction refers to abbreviations that include the first and last letters of the full word (Mr., amt.). [....]

(emphasis in the original)
yep, initialism is a cool word

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

How often will I get to add a little to Bill Booth's knowledge ... I'll take it where I can. ;)

15.3 In precise usage, the word acronym refers only to terms based on the initial letters of their various elements and read as single words (NATO, AIDS); initialism refers to terms read as a series of letters (BBC, ATM); and contraction refers to abbreviations that include the first and last letters of the full word (Mr., amt.). [....]

(emphasis in the original)
yep, initialism is a cool word

good stuff...learned something today!

rm

*** I've got a masters degree (obviously not in English) and I'd never heard the term "initialism". Makes sense though. (sentence fragment)

I'll bet you know a couple of English infixes, though.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

*** I've got a masters degree (obviously not in English) and I'd never heard the term "initialism". Makes sense though. (sentence fragment)

I'll bet you know a couple of English infixes, :)
OK, I bite. What's an infix?

Well a prefix goes at the beginning of a word, a suffix goes at the end, and an infix goes in the middle.

American usage example: here.:)
Also, abso-bloody-lutely (English usage)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I like that. I had been calling it a MARDe System...Main Assisted Reserve Deployment.
I prefer Main Expedited Reserve Deployment (MERDe) :P.

MARDe is the same than MERDe, just with a french canadian accent... Ask Remster he'll confirm.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

With regards to contractions....

What does the manual say about the use of the full stop (or period)?

In Australian (British) english, if the last letter of the word is the last letter of the contraction, then no full stop, else yes.

eg
Doctor -> Dr
Professor -> Prof.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

What does the manual say about the use of the full stop (or period)?

In Australian (British) english, if the last letter of the word is the last letter of the contraction, then no full stop, else yes.

eg
Doctor -> Dr
Professor -> Prof.

The short answer is that yes, we use periods after contractions. ;)

A better short answer is that yes, we use periods after contractions and other abbreviations. We don't suppress the period after contractions, which we define (above) to be abbreviations that include the first and last letters of the full word.

[kallend]: :D

Chicago Manual of Style 15th edition

Chapter 15 "Abbreviations" consists of 36 pages and 76 numbered topics, with an introductory section followed by Names and Titles, Geographical Terms, Designations of Time, Scholarly Abbreviations, Bible, Technology and Science, Business and Commerce.

Continuing on your point of matching first and last letters (contractions) and their relationship with a period, I haven't found where Chicago speaks specifically to that topic (for American usage) apart from other abbreviations and their periods. There are lists of common abbreviations in the chapter, one of which lists Prof. with a period.

15.4 Periods: general guidelines. To avoid unnecessary periods in abbreviations, Chicago recommends the following general guidelines: use periods with abbreviations that appear in lower case letters; use no periods with abbreviations that appear in full capitals or small capitals, whether two letters or more. For feasible exceptions, see 15.5. For a mixture of lowercase and capital letters, see 15.6. For the omission of periods in scientific usage, see 15.55, 15.58.

p. e.g. etc. p.m. vol. et al. (et is not an abbreviation; al. is)
VP CEO USA AAUP BCE

15.5 Periods: exceptions and options. Obviously, Chicago's guidelines are subject to modification. For example, periods are used after initials standing for given names (E. B. White, G. K. Chesterton); strict scientific style omits all periods (m, cm, kg [see 15.55]); traditionalists may draw the line at "PhD" or "US" (Chicago bows to tradition on the latter); the British and the French (among others) omit periods from contractions (Dr, assn, Mme). A slash is occasionally used instead of a period (as in [I]c/o[/I]) but more often denotes [I]per[/I] (see 6.116).

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

I never realized that the Skyhook could also be used as a vehicle to teach proper English...not that I am not enjoying this. I was such a geek in sixth grade, that I actually enjoyed diagramming sentences.

PS. The DZ.con dictionary does not have the word "geek" in it. Can you imagine that?