Ragnarok

New rig, recommendations on what to replace....

I got my 'used' rig in the other day. I looked it over and everyhting looked to be in reasonable shape. There are a few things I want to relpace, though. I will put in new rubberbands, pin, and pilot chute. I am looking to go with a monkey-fist, too.

Anything else I may need to consider replacing? There are 225 jumps on the main, 250 on the container.

I am getting the reserve re-packed and will be putting in a Vigil when I am getting ready to be able to jump it.

Thanks.

With that many jumps on it, I'd be looking real close at all the velcro. You don't want your flaps coming loose or your bridle flopping around in freefall. If you replace everything that's "iffy" right now, it won't cost you downtime when you're wanting to jump later. Anything major, your rigger is going to find, if you ask them to give it a real detailed inspection.

Hey, congratulations. B|

With that many jumps on it, I'd be looking real close at all the velcro. You don't want your flaps coming loose or your bridle flopping around in freefall. If you replace everything that's "iffy" right now, it won't cost you downtime when you're wanting to jump later. Anything major, your rigger is going to find, if you ask them to give it a real detailed inspection.

Hey, congratulations. B|

What makes you think it has any velcro?

What makes you think it has any velcro?

If it doesn't, it won't take him long to inspect it. ;)

Actually the inspection is still going to take some time. I would have a thorough inspection done by a trusted rigger. The rigger will check every stitch and seam of the main, reserve, container, free bad, D-bag, bridle, PC etc. I would also check the repack card and then call the rigger who last repacked the reserve just to verify he did it. The O.P may not want to invest in that many changes to the gear because typically a jumpers first rig is just transitional gear anyway and the odds are he will purchase new gear as he progresses. I would probably change to a BOC if it has an ROL but other than that, instead of spending money making a lot of changes, I'd recommend saving it and applying the savings towards the purchase of new gear when the time comes.

Genera containers come stock with BOC and there is a little Velcro between the BOC and the side flap, just to prevent the main bridle from flopping too much.
Overall, Genera is a decent rig - almost as good as Talon FS - at half the price.

Thanks, I'm somewhat familiar with Genera and the Talon. The OP never said the make of the container. Thats why I asked how anyone knew it had velcro on it.

edited to add: I'm pretty sure I check his profile before I posted and it didn't list the Genera at that time.

When to buy your first rig, and what needs replacing on it is something that should be discussed between your rigger, your AFF instructors, and you.

An AFF instructor is not necissarily the person to talk to about gear and gear maintenance. (Beyond what is on your "A" card anyway)

Your rigger is.

An AFF Instructor teaches a person to fly their body and a parachute.

A rigger inspects and maintains gear.

Just my opinion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I was looking at all the things that might need to be replaced, compile a list to see what kind of expence I am looking at. Since it will be some time before I jump the rig, I have time to get it set up right. I hate not being able to ask the 'right' questions. I have been looking at basic and rigger maintainence on rigs just so I can be familiar with things when I do get the rig checked out.

Genera G4, DOM 2000, 250 jumps.
Triathalon Main - 225 jumps, DOM 1998

2 years left on the Cypress. (which will be replaced with a Vigil before I jump the rig)

2 years left on the Cypress. (which will be replaced with a Vigil before I jump the rig)

Any reason why? Over the next two years the Vigil will have the chance to prove itself, and the manufacturer will have a chance to establish their reputation for business practices and longevity.

If you have a functioning AAD, why not jump it unitl it's useful life is over, and then see how things are doing over in Vigil-land.

What Dave said....

....and if you still decide to change it, I'll buy that cypres. I have a waiting list for them.

Call Rigging Innovations and ask if there were any major mods since that year. Otherwise, a good inspection by your rigger, should reveal any abnormal wear and tear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

got the rig checked out this weekend. Had the rubberbands replaced and that was it. Everything else was good to go. I am going to get a monkey fist to replace the hackey-sack pull-handle, thoug. Now all I have to do is pass AFF, get an A license, AND become proficent enought to jump it......