JaciP

New Jumper with ?'s about container sizes

Hi all, I have just recently recieved my A licence, and I am now looking to purchase a rig of my own. My one question right now, is What are the container sizes and what do they mean. I have been looking online at some, and i dont know what or how to determine the size and what would fit me. I am 5'5 and around 138 lbs. Any suggestions for a container for a begginer female?

Thanx
"if life gives you lemons make lemonade and if life gives someone vodka, find that person and have a party!"

Jaci

The container sizes are codes for the size of the main and reserve volume/canopy size, and each mfg uses a different method of coding. It has nothing to do with the size of the harness related to your body dimensions. That is taken care of by the many measurements that are needed to fill out the order form.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Each manufacturer uses a different numbering scheme. For example: my Mirage container is an "M5" size which means roughly 190-170 main and 176-160 reserve. A Javelin with same sized the canopies is called a "J4K". Check the websites or call the manufacturer to find out what canopies should fit.

edit: oops
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

In addition to what the above posters have stated, you can also as what lengthe the MLW (Main Lift Web) is. I'd venture a guess that you'll want to find one in the 14" to 15" range. The MLW is the vertical webbing (in relation to your body) that thwe cutaway and reserve handles are mountes on. It's connected across by your chest strap, and ties into the back of the rig near the legstraps via the laterals. The measurement is usually from the large ring on the harness where the risers attach to the junction where the legstrap attaches.

Some manufacturers inclued harness size info on the data pannel of the rig. For example in addition to a container size such as "J1K" for a Javelin you may also see a "C15" which would mean a "C" yoke (standard) and a 15" MLW. Some other Manufacturers you may have to measure yourself.

Even easier is ask the owner of the used rigs you're looking at their body size and look for someone like you. Easiest is buying a new rig and having it custom built for you, but that is also the most expensive.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

To add on to what JP said...

What is your inseam? That will help determine the length of your torso. 14" is pretty short. But if you are 5'5" with long legs, that may be what you need.

If you want help with sizing. PM me. I can help you weed through some of the used gear out there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!