Girlfalldown

Can't sleep. Clowns will eat me...

Hey Shannon, my grandma's in the hospital as well. She's 83 and was a riveter rather than a welder during the war, but most of your words I could just copy verbatim, including the part about my birth-mother (her daughter). She's been a matriarch for my family, as well as a mother figure for me (and her own 6 kids). She's been in the hospital for 3 of the last 5 weeks, with all kinds of different problems. This morning she was scoped to determine the severity of a hiatal hernia, which they were prepared to do emergency surgery on tonight. Luckily that came back as non-life-threatening, so instead they're gonna laproscopically remove her gall bladder tomorrow. I don't know alot about this stuff, but apparently her gall bladder is full of bacteria, so they can't fix the hiatal hernia at the same time without risking a serious infection. That means she gets the other surgery in a few weeks. I'm just hoping I get to dance with her again on her birthday this August...I doubt I'll get to again next year. [:/]

You and your Mamu are in my thoughts. I can totally sympathize and I really hope she comes through this with flying colors and you get to spend some more time with her.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Shannon, I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better and Mamu is in good hands! :)
Dave, you know you and Grandma are in my thoughts and prayers!!!

xoxoxo g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I have some experience with having close relatives in the hospital. Some observations:

1) It's a good idea to have someone there with him/her to act as an in-room patient advocate. The patient can't advocate for himself. Keeping the patient comfortable, assisting with communicating information to the doctors and nurses. Be assertive but not abrasive to obtain the best care possible for the patient.

Example: Friend's dad was in the hospital with massive head pains. His son was there with him. The hospital was just medicating him. The son kept insisting that this was more severe, the medicine was just covering up the underlying issue and that the son MUST speak with the father's doctor. He kept pushing, finally spoke with the doc, got him transferred via ambulance to another hospital, and they handled the underly issue - a potentially deadly aneurysm.

2) The in-room patient advocate can set up appointments with the patient's doctors. The hospital's job is to get the patient stabilized to a point where the patient can be released. The advocate can call doctors - hospital won't necessarily do this - and verify that the patient sees the doctors.

3) The in-room patient advocate can just make the patient more comfortable. Being in the room until the patient is stabilized can make you more comfortable because you understand the situation more fully. And it provides blowback benefits to the patient to have an advocate there. Sneaking in a nice meal every so often - if the patient is not severely diet restricted - can be a nice bonus.

My $0.02. Best wishes.

- opurt

By all means enjoy every moment and call as often as you can. I lost my Grandmother in April and I can say it was the hardest thing in my life to go though. I was raised by her and like you, she was the light of my life. Saucy little thing with a strong will who finally lost the battle of kidney cancer. She was only 69 so she was still so full of life and advice. Since her and my Grandfather met at a biker bar, she forgave me for all my wild hobbies and understood me like no other. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Muff Brother # 3883, SCR # 14796 ICD # 1 - Pres.
Yeah, I noticed and I think it's funny!

I know how you are feeling and I am so sorry your Mamu's not doing well. I didn't have the greatest parents as a child and the only people who made that difference in my life had been my grandparents. I lived with my grandparents for a few years and they are a large part of who I am now. I only have on grandma left and it kills me not to see her every day. I do talk to her at least 3-4 times a week though. There is something about grandmas and grandpas that just know how to make that difference in your life. At least my made that difference. I hope your Mamu gets better soon. My suggestion is don't wait, just get a ticket and go out to see her. You will feel better just being there and so will she.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Should I fly down in the morning? Screw work? Just go?

Ugh..

there's so many more issues but i'm into my second glass of wine. Yeah, Ive been so stressed I haven't even been able to drink wine!.

My grandmother is an amazing woman. She's been through a lot and always has a smile and a joke at the end of it to lighten the mood even when it's her life on the line.

I love her. I don't want anything to happen to her. I need to spend more time with her before our time runs out and I'm scared.

I got the phone call we never want to get about you yesterday Shannon. :( I haven't processed that yet, and with my eyes still wet and this fucking cue-ball in my throat, I just got a phone call rallying the family around my grandma. I'm gonna screw work and try to get there before she passes.

Remember Shannon, she's my grandma...she doesn't need to know anything truthful about me, so don't you be telling stories. :P

Ow-fucking-oww. [:/]

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Dave please be safe on the road, and give Grandma a hug and kiss for me.

I'm here....

Love, g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?