mattb

Selling gear - a couple of questions

Note - this is not a classified, I've been online here for several years (if inactive for the past one or two) and understand the rules. I'm looking for thoughts on how to sell gear.

The time has come to sell my gear - I haven't jumped in nearly two years. After moving away from Chicago several changes happened on the personal front and I lost the motiviation to jump. I'm looking at buying into an airplane and I no longer need to keep a good rig in my basement.

I have a good-quality rig (Wings, Safire 190, PD Reserve, and Cypress) that could be jumped tomorrow except that the Cypres needs a 4-year (it's first) and the reserve needs repacked.

Should I invest in getting the Cypres updated or not before selling it? I can see a new owner wanting to be able to jump it ASAP but also could see them wanting to get the work done themselves. What are your thoughts?

Also - any thoughts on listing it here vs. ebay are appreciated.

Thanks

Whichever you decide to do, just factor that in to the price of the rig. I paid over $300.00 for my 4 year check AND reserve repack. It may be easier to demo and sell if that's done beforehand, especially if you are selling it as a complete system.

And guys, if I recall correctly, its a sharp looking rig!

Not only ready to go, but I have found that detailed history is a big selling point with most skydivers. Rigger owned? Maintained in which loft? Number of packs on the reserve? Exact number of jumps on main? On reserve? Packed on sand, grass carpet? In the closet for 6 mo or more? Ever jumped in water? Even if they don't ask, those sorts of factoids are in the back of buyers' minds, and they assume that if you went to the level of detail to tell them that, maybe you're a detail person about your rig as well. Just my $.02, I'm no expert, sold about 6 canopies and two harness/containers in the last 18 mo. cheers,