oldphart

question re: tarmac strandings ?

long story short, 2 1/2 hours on tarmac, connecting flight already departed and knowing I am facing a stranding at my next waypoint.A verry agitated traveler next to me is told by stewardess the only way we are returning to the gate is if "someone demands off of this plane".
What are the repercussions of this???
After spending a weekend in airport limbo hell I was wishing I had demanded off of the plane!

Back in 07 at JFK I spent 4 hours sitting in the plane. Others were there for up to 7 hours after their flight landed.

I was refunded my ticket plus a voucher to Jet Blue for the same amount. (unfortunately I was unable to use it before the 1 year expiration)

the only reason I question this is the way the attendant phrased her statement. Like it was possible to demand off of the AC, but her tone implied that it wouldn't be wise. Aparently you could be stranded on the tarmac for as long as the airline wants to keep you there. I was hoping
someone in the industry could shed some light.