tombuch

Equipment Compatibility

We had an interesting incident at The Ranch recently that bears a mention.

A very experienced four way team jumper had recently changed her equipment and began experiencing long pilot chute hesitations. Each time (about three occurrences) she handled the problem by kicking and shaking her back/legs, and that was sufficient to free the pilot cute. The problem didn’t happen on every jump, but seemed to be about every 3-5 jumps.

Finally, the team vidographer was able to document the opening sequence. The video shows a solid pilot chute launch and stiff bridle line with pack opening, and the bag remaining in the container for about 2-3 seconds. The malfunction was later simulated on the ground such that the open container could be lifted with the bridle.

The problem was tracked to a new deployment bag that was too big for the container, and that allowed the main parachute to remain wedged in the main pack tray. Replacing the bag fixed the problem.

The take-away from this incident is to make sure your components are compatible. In another post Bill Von mentioned a few problems at the 2005 WFFC, including wrong sized cut-a-way handles, so there are obviously a few different manifestations of the incompatible equipment issue. (See his post at: http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1772385;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Jumpers should be aware that not all components are compatible and should seek the assistance of a trusted rigger when setting up their gear. Riggers should be extra vigilant and check compatibility with sizing charts, manufacturers instructions, and a final physical inspection and test of equipment operation.

A pilot chute hesitation, either with pack open or closed, is probably one of the scariest malfunctions to deal with. It is a very high speed malfunction, and the correct response can include a cutaway or immediate reserve deployment. Either response could result in a double deployment with entanglement. The key is to know how you are going to deal with the problem in advance, and then execute the procedure in the air. Wasting time making your decision while in freefall is not a viable option.

In this case the jumper was super experienced and current, opened at a reasonable altitude, and made a conscious decision to work with the problem for just a few seconds. She maintained altitude awareness and was able to solve the problem without using her cutaway or reserve handles, but was prepared to do so if necessary. While the problem was cleared in this case, it is just as likely that a long pilot chute hesitation will not self correct, so jumpers should not spend more than a couple of seconds dealing with it. Keep in mind that a pilot chute hesitation is a very fast problem and it is easy to loose track of time and altitude, and that is especially true for inexperienced jumpers and those who have never had a malfunction.

Everything worked out well in this case, but jumpers and riggers should use it as a reminder to refocus on ensuring component compatibility.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Well said Tom! I see quite a few instances of jumpers wanting to switch gear between rigs, or "borrow" or demo a canopy in a different deployment bag.

The bag is a part of the container system, it was sized for the container that it came with, so if you're swapping components around make sure that they're compatible.

When you buy a new rig, you can order an extra "d" bag, then if you're switching canopies for various disciplines your equipment will be compatible.
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

As long as I have been a rigger, I have been a 'stickler' for NOT mixing components. I have had several jumpers over the years, complaining of not being able to get their main into the bag. I am asked if a bigger bag will help. The parachute is the right size for the container and the bag that came with it. I explain that it could be the way they pack. Which is usually taken as an insult. Manufacturers point out in their instructions to use only their components with their harness-containers. Some jumpers have just gone ahead and used off-brand components and wondered why they were having problems. It's just not a good idea!:S

Chuck

Is the replacement d-bag larger in:
width?
depth?
or length?

Sounds like this thread started with a d-bag that was too wide (measured across hips) or to long (measured along spine).
Deeper (measured from pack tray to pin) d-bags are less of an issue.

A well designed pilot chute ought to pull 80-120 lbs. at terminal. I find it hard to believe that simply putting an "oversized" bag in a well designed main container could result in an open container pilot chute in tow. I suspect either a poorly designed container or (most likely) pilot chute.

Malfunctions aside, you could also be damaging the container. I know of a DZ that was using both Strong and Racer tandem equipment. They decided that to make it easier for the packers, they would put Strong bags on the Racer Tandem. I don't know if they had any Mals from this but they sure as hell had damage! Stiffeners were cracked and flaps had to be replaced.

By the way, a cracked stiffener can tear through a flap and snag a line. Not something you want on a Tandem!

Three rings can be an issue too. Parachute de France has a different size three ring. Problem? Don't know, don't want to find out the hard way. I do know that risers can be gear specific (escpecially interity risers), however S-links and the effort required to change risers can be a hassle. Be careful switching canopies! Check with a rigger or manufacturer!

Never Assume it can make a corpse out of U and ME!

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Some pilotchutes get replaced when they blow apart. Poor packing can also make a pin hesitate. I've picked student gear off the ground by the pilotchute to prove this point the non believers. Certainly the bag isn't necessarily the only problem, but it can be one more link in the chain.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.