boinky

Illuminated Keyboards?

I have recently decided that since I use my keyboard in the dark a good bit, I would like an illuminated keyboard.

Suggestions? Brands, models and why, please. If you want to suggest what not to get, that's fine too!

Thanks! :)
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

I like World Tech and DVKeys, but they might be more than you want.
They are both light sensitive so if you're in the dark and your hands aren't over the keys, they're dark. If you're in the light, they don't light up
Very useful as someone who is often in the dark editing.

I'm not sure which you mean. I tried a search of both names and came up with a Logitech keyboard. Is this what you were referring to?
Nina

Gee....I think I'll pass on the flashlight! ;)

Do you have the mirrored keyboard? If so, do you have complaints of any type? I checked the reviews and there were consistent complaints about some of the keys not working and not being able to keep the keyboard itself clean.

Nina

I am currently using the keyboard that I got with my computer years and years and years ago. :$ It's that pasty off white color. It's so old that some of the letters are starting to rub off.

I type well and fast. But in the dark, who doesn't miss a few of the rarely used number or symbol keys? :) Or when you need to hit two rarely used keys to use the character map.

Cost is not a major objection. Looks are nice, but ease of use and comfort are very important! ;)

You said you used to own a Saitek. What happened that you don't use it any more?

Nina

As an ex-competitive video gamer, I've been in the community of quality keyboards and mice for the last few years...

Saiteks are nice, I don't have any previous experience with them, but they are recognized as good keyboards. I personally don't like the design, how the keys and buttons are placed...

I've been using a Logitech G15 for the last few years. There are two versions of this keyboard, the new and the old one. Older one is what I use, it's better because it also has 18 programmable keys on the left side of the keyboard, whereas the new one has 8 I think. The G15 glows (older G15 is blue, newer one is orange), has glowing keys to control your media (play, stop, forward and back) a switch to disable your Windows key (if you frequently hit it on accident), settings to turn off the lights, and turn them on two settings (faint and brighter). It also has 2 USB ports (unfortunately, not high speed) on the back, and a screen that displays what music your playing, what time it is, etc. Also has a mute volume button.

If you want to go above and beyond and treat yourself, Logitech came out with a new keyboard, the G19. I'm not sure if it's out and for sale yet, but if it is, it's sexy. Check it out. Pretty sure that it's illuminated in 4 colors depending on your settings, has a nice LCD screen on it, pretty sure it has USB 2.0 ports, and also pretty sure it has the programmable keys, but it's been a long time since I've looked at it. It's very sexy though.

Hope this helps, all from my experience through competitive computer gaming.

Editted to add that I use a gel pad in front of my keyboard. It'll be some of the nicest ~15 dollars you'll ever spend. The G15 comes with a hard plastic wrist rest, is counterproductive but it comes off ><