skybytch

Old school RPG's are stupid

So to get my AD&D fix I read Forgotten Realms. RA Salvatore has written some great books over the years. Had a chance to meet him years back and it was interesting to hear how he pronounces certain words and how very much different it was compared to my own pronunciations.

Right on. Haven't read any Forgotten Realms in a few years, but have over 40 on my shelf...including the "classic" Salvatore books.

So to get my AD&D fix I read Forgotten Realms. RA Salvatore has written some great books over the years. Had a chance to meet him years back and it was interesting to hear how he pronounces certain words and how very much different it was compared to my own pronunciations.

Right on. Haven't read any Forgotten Realms in a few years, but have over 40 on my shelf...including the "classic" Salvatore books.

Did you read Servant of the Shard? By far his best book imo. Also the War of the Spider Queen series is incredible if you like to read about the Drow. The series wasn't written by Salvatore but it was highly influenced by him. Afterall he is the foremost expert on all things drow.

He also has another Drizzt book coming out in October. I think he is tired of writing about Drizzt and it is apparent in his writing but this new book has Cadderly from The Cleric Quintet in it so hopefully that renewed his vigor to tell the story.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

It's been a while since I actually played paper and pen RPG, but I still have friends who do (White Wolf productions, mostly, but some D&D)

I have played for almost 11 years an online rpg. Not one of those graphic games (which isnt really immersive roleplaying, IMO). The game was Gemstone from Simutronics at play.net. They also have DragonRealms.

What's different is that these games have been longstanding... and is text based. Yep. You read, you type. So you're not limited by what animation was programmed. It's akin to reading a book (or rather interacting with one). Bring your own imagination.

~b