BillyVance

Post your Halloween pumpkin carving

As a father to two little girls, I had to carve an image of something not scary.

Maybe later I'll carve something more fun in an adult theme... :ph34r:

Tools used include: long thin serrated paring knife, tiny little xacto knife, cordless drill and two bits, a big one and a small one, and a thumbtack. Total time, about an hour and a half. The older girl was so excited to see the finished product. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My favorite is the second pic;)

scary or not youve got more talent than i ever thought about having in carving up one of those things. great job:)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Your carving looks good, but you need to reduce the thickness of the pumpkin, by a bunch. The areas that are not cut all the way through are not visible because light can't get all the way through. Usually when I carve pumpkins, I just remove the skin instead of cutting all the way, and make the thickness of the meat about 1/4 inch. This gives it a great orange glow. You will have to be careful now that you have holes cut, as you scrape it thinner and thinner, you will have a chance of breaking it.
I'm not sure what I want to do this year, any suggestions?

My favorite is the second pic;)

scary or not youve got more talent than i ever thought about having in carving up one of those things. great job:)

Not really, that was my first time in 10 years, or damn near about. But thanks... All it took was my wife to print out some halloween carving designs in black ink. I cut off the excess paper, taped the face to the pumpkin, and used the thumbtack to outline the design. Peel off paper, and there it was, just connect the dots. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I just remove the skin instead of cutting all the way, and make the thickness of the meat about 1/4 inch. This gives it a great orange glow. You will have to be careful now that you have holes cut, as you scrape it thinner and thinner, you will have a chance of breaking it.
I'm not sure what I want to do this year, any suggestions?

Interesting.... I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to figure out a way to make scraping off the inside of the meat easy. I don't think I have any tools that would do it, except take a serving spoon and sharpen one edge, ala shiv prison style.

you could do the devil woman on the label of the gourmet beer I had a while ago. I posted the pic, but can't remember the thread title or I would know where to find it.

Nice! I like it. I have an untouched pumpkin down in the kitchen, just waiting to be carved up. I think I'm going to do fall leaves for the design, but I don't have a drill . . . or thumbtacks . . . or any skill, really. . . . Good thing there's no entrance exam for pumpkin carving!
TPM Sister #102

Hahahaha. I just use the scoop thing they give you to get out the seeds and junk in the first place. Large metal spoons should work fine too. Keep one hand on the outside, where you are scraping, you can sort feel via the flexing of the pumpkin how thin it is getting.
I do know what picture you are talking of, I'll have to see what I can find.

Billy,
You don't have to sharpen an edge, a regular metal spoon works well. Just use it to scrape all along the inside before you carve and it makes things a lot easier for the designs to show through and also to cut them out.:)
I used to cut the dz's logo into a pumpkin every year for the haloween boogie. They changed their logo recently so i don't know if i will do it this year or not. The other one is the Gravity Rats logo. That one i did just to see if i couldB|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.