blacklabjumper

You know you live in the south when the morning paper headlines reads...

Five Officers charged in dog fondling! Five Virginia dept. of Corrections officers have been charged with animal cruelty involving the fondling of a K-9 dog and videotaping the TWO incidents. Basically, the article goes on to say that these officers were being trained and they were told if they jerked the dog off he would be easier to control. Oh and one of the officers was a woman (at least by Virginia standards). They actually debated as to what to charge them with since they didn't actually hurt the dog. there was talk of charging them with beastiality but according to virginia law that would require penatration. An attorney for one of the guys suggested the state would have a difficult time proving animal cruelty. A quote from the attorney "The statute is not set up to deal with type of thing. I don't think the legislature quite had this in mind" YA Think! Ok people let the games begin with this bit of news from the south.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

Is there a shortage of real crime there?:S

Funny I've never heard of anyone filing charges against the Moonlight Bunny
Ranch for committing that "cruelty" to a customer.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Put it to you this way. They may be south of the line but we don't claim them.

So where's the real line? The VA/NC and KY/TN state lines?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I was thinking the same thing. They may have been a "southern colony" but that's about it. Virginia is no more "South" than Florida (with an exemption for the panhandle north of the intercoastal) b
Killing threads since 2004.

Funny...we Floridians have typically felt North Florida/Panhandle area is more "Georgia" than Florida.
As well as Florida is the south.

What makes one state more "south" than the others?
I always thought North Carolina/Kentucky/Tennessee on down was.

I don't know if you can exclude Kentucky. I think a lot of people would like to, but I'm pretty sure most folks would have to accept KY as being in the south. Might not always feel like it coming from further south, but when I went to college in Cincinnati I couldn't believe the difference just crossing the Ohio river into KY. The real test came when comparing Waffle Houses. In Ohio I was dissapointed to find a clean place with well mannered guests and waitstaff with all their teeth. In KY I felt much more at home walking into the place where your feet stuck to the floor in the middle of a domestic dispute between a waitress and her ex, during which she ran back into the restaurant to grab more plates and glasses to throw at him as he drove away in her conversion van with a window unit A/C mounted through the back door.

Scattered, covered, smothered and chunked, all with a side of good redneck festivities. Damn I miss that place here in Texas!

Its actually above Maryland and Kentucky. Those states just succeed (right word/spelling? I dont think it is, but you get the idea....) since they wouldve been the first Southern states to be invaded during the war.

Map for reference --> http://www.sonofthesouth.net/slavery/slave-maps/mason-dixon-line.htm

Funny...we Floridians have typically felt North Florida/Panhandle area is more "Georgia" than Florida.
As well as Florida is the south.

What makes one state more "south" than the others?
I always thought North Carolina/Kentucky/Tennessee on down was.

There are certainly southern areas of Florida (specifically the panhandle and lots of north/north central Florida) but in my experience living there for awhile, the closer you got to the beach or mickey, the more 100% northern transplant it became. South Florida is a whole different country.

I'll admit my impression is based on only two years living there, however in those two years I spent time working in everyone of the 130 or so state parks so I saw a pretty good cross-section.

I meant to include Kentucky as well.

I'm surprised you can't find a decent southern equivalent of breakfast in Texas. Texas food is AWESOME!

Some of my favorite recipes...
Homesick Texan
BEST recipe for chicken fried steak I have tried.
B|

there is PLENTY of kickass food here, sometime I just get the craving for a good Waffle House experience. There is one near Austin that might as well change its name. Another one up near Houston (about 4 hrs north of me) is pretty decent.

if history serves me correctly the largest SOUTHERN army during the civil war was the army of Northern Virginia. Agreed that Maryland is not the south and probably northern Virginia but once you are south of Fredericksburg it is the south. One more reason we don't have to worry about the south rising again. They are to busy jerking off their dogs! I'm a carpet bagger and damn proud of it. Oh and BTW I hate the yankees. Anyone who thinks Virginia is not in the south has obviously been a product of repeated in breeding in states south of Virginia. But this thread is more about jerking off the dog than it is about which states are MORE southern than others. The fact that people are discussing which states are more southern than others only goes to prove my point. I live in Virginia and love it. the northerner in me just can't help but get a good laugh once in a while from the behavior of southern people.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

It's all in perspective. When I moved to cincinnati from Georgia it felt like I was moving to the great white north. On my first day of classes my TA (from the upper peninsula of Michigan) mentioned how odd it felt to be living in the deep south. From our own perspectives we were both right.

I'm about 160 miles in the other direction from Houston. Unfortunately the closest one to me is 140 miles away. : /

6.37 miles for me! B|

Use to be tradition to stop there on the way home from the DZ when the kids would go with me...probably the only reason they would go! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~